Deleting Mac Programs & Files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NacSquared, Aug 6, 2014.

1. NacSquared macrumors regular

NacSquared

Hey guys, I just recently got myself a rMBP 13" and I'm loving everything about it. I just have a few questions as I'm quite the paranoid type when it comes to my electronics.

I have installed a few things recently ( Install360Controller, BetterMoveTool, etc. ) and I have a question about uninstalling these applications. With windows, you could go through the Control Panel and uninstall programs separately. With Mac, I learned that you can just drag the application into the trash bin.

I must admit, dragging the application into the trash bin does not seem to get all of the files, so I went ahead and downloaded AppCleaner.

When trying to uninstall the Install360Controller program, it deleted the program itself, but I quickly learned that it had completely left numerous files that were associated with the program. I had to manually find each associated file and delete them myself.

So, when uninstalling BetterMoveTool, I used the AppCleaner and it found associated files which I proceeded to delete.

My overall question is, is there anyway to be sure that I have completely uninstalled or deleted the program and all files associated with it? Anything like uninstalling a program on windows? Yes, I know I'm the very paranoid type, I just like to keep my things in order.

Thank you in advance guys,

Nick

2. Crugga macrumors regular

Theres an app called cleanmymac which should clean up any odds and ends knocking about.
    Another usefull one is omnidisksweeper, this effectively allows you to browse all folders on your machine, amazing where you find things.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are some third party apps like you mentioned that do a pretty good job, but sometimes they miss files also. The only way to really be sure is to manually search like you did.

This is an area where the Mac is way behind Windows with the Mac having no uninstaller mechanism whatsoever.

I have been using the app iFileX instead of Finder for these manual searches. I find it easier to use and by default it will search through system folders where Finder will not.