Deleting mail attachments on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GilGrissom, Dec 9, 2008.

1. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Hey guys,

I've noticed that I have over 800Mb on my iPhone set aside for "other", outside what is used for media and apps, so I began to think what this was.

I came to the conclusion that it's probably a lot of everything, stuff that isn't filed under any of the other categories, which may include the Camera Roll (not sure if this is calculated under the "photos" amount), downloaded email attachments and anything else that needs to be stored that hasn't got a category.

My question is specifically on the mail attachments, as I've cleared my camera roll and the 800+ Mb is still there, though I think I may have downloaded a large amount of attachments over the past months which may be contributing to the 800Mb. I'm desperate to try and either:

1. Fully understand whats taking that 800Mb up,
    2. Delete what I can to clear it up, on an 8Gb iPhone, 800Mb is actually a rather large amount of stuff and is stopping me putting on more music, photos or music, which is very frustrating when you do not know what it is.

So, I guess ultimately I have two questions:

1. What is under the "other" section?
    2. Can I delete downloaded attachments on the iPhone without deleting the actual email??

Thanks guys.

2. crisss1205 macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

I think the "other" is used as reserved space like to hold the recent calls, phone book, calendar and other settings.