Deleting mail off a server.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by art4hire, Jul 29, 2008.

1. art4hire macrumors newbie

I use a mac almost exclusively and I delete messages off my mac and they seem to be deleted. I also use a PC for some apps and on occasion I will open outlook on the PC and literally I'll have thousands of emails. It seems as though the emails I delete off my mac are not being deleted off the server until I delete them from a PC. Any thoughts? I believe I checked the "Delete mail off server" option.

2. theyellowdart macrumors regular

I'm assuming you're using Mail.app for your mail client.

the first thing to do is to make sure it's setup to delete from the server... because odds are that's without a doubt where the issue is at.

Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts Select your account -> Advanced. make sure the "Remove message from the server after receiving" checkbox is checked.

3. baummer macrumors 6502a

Is your mail account configured as IMAP on one and POP on the other?

4. art4hire thread starter macrumors newbie

RE:Deleting mail off a server.

You know I went back and looked and it says "Remove copy from server after receiving message" It it just downloading a copy of the message and leaving the message on the server?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It should not, if you've set it to delete on the server after downloading. Note the drop-down choices. Have you selected "right away" or something else?

Here's an undocumented trick for finding out if you've got any mail on the server: With a mailbox selected, type command-i. This brings up an account info window, which lists all of the mail residing on the mail server. If it's not being deleted, you'll see it immediately.

Hope that helps.