Deleting Mailbox Without Deleting Messages

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by T3hPreacher, Apr 12, 2013.

1. T3hPreacher macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm finally looking to move my access from POP to IMAP on Mail's connection with my email provider. I'd like to delete the POP account in Mail as part of the process. However, I'd like to retain all the old emails, and I know that deleting the account will delete all emails associated with it.

My question is: will creating a mailbox "On My Mac" and moving all messages from that inbox to the local mailbox protect them from deletion? Meaning, I could delete the POP account, and any messages that are moved to a local folder (and thus out of the account inbox) will be retained locally on the computer? Or will they be wiped out no matter what part of Mail they're stored in?

Thanks for any help!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just click on Mailbox menu then New Mailbox and select On my Mac and that will make a new Mailbox that is not associated with any email account and it will remain after you delete the account.

What might be better for you though, it just drag the messages you want to save into an IMAP folder in the new account. That way they are on the IMAP server available to all devices.