Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ducaticanine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
I've tried deleting most of my text messages in my phone and it still shows 'messages saved 3.4 gigs' ... I'm sure this has been addressed before here but can someone please help me. how on earth do I free up space on this iPhone by deleting messages. thanx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 157

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I've tried deleting most of my text messages in my phone and it still shows 'messages saved 3.4 gigs' ... I'm sure this has been addressed before here but can someone please help me. how on earth do I free up space on this iPhone by deleting messages. thanx

Mine is a 69mb. I do not think you get it but so low and if it did not change you might have hit the limit. the 3.4mb might also include the message program. Pictures and apps take the most room so you might want to look there for possible deletions.

ducaticanine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
thanks.. but i'm not speaking about mb's..i'm talking about gigs. big difference. i've deleted almost all text messages and i still have 3.4 gigs showing that it is taking.. very confused

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
thanks.. but i'm not speaking about mb's..i'm talking about gigs. big difference. i've deleted almost all text messages and i still have 3.4 gigs showing that it is taking.. very confused

WOW! I now see that. How many messages do you have left on the phone? Are there lots of images in these messages. 3.4 gb is huge. Have you rebooted after deleting?

wongster

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
check the photos in the messages. select the message and the top right should be details. click on that and start deleting the pictures.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Go to Settings → Messages and select the option to only keep messages for 30 days.

ducaticanine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
thank you all for your advice here but have tried all and still showing the same. 3.4GB used in messages. any other ideas? shouldnt this be a very simple procedure?? odd

Martin81

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
Germany
Oh wow - 3.4GB is really a lot. That must be due to many iMessages with pictures or videos?!
Just looked at my iPhone. I do only SMS and have only about 2MB.

Have you changed the settings yet to keeping them only for 30 days?

BethZac5

Suspended
Mar 31, 2015
I think you can try to reboot your iPhone. I think when you delete your messages, the messages are not deleted from the iPhone actually. Until you send or receive new messages, the space saved the old messages will be overwritten by the new messagews

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.