Deleting Multiples Files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Newbies, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Newbies macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I need help deletting emlx files that was accidentaly copied to the desktop. When I highlight all the files to drag it to the trash a popup windows appears with the option to Skip, Stop or Continue. I have to manually click on either skip or continue for all the 10,000 files which is going to take me couple of days.

My question is, are there any command or builtin application that can delete these files without asking for confirmation?

Please help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac OS X version do you have?

Normally it shouldn't ask this question, but have you looked at the permissions of those files via CMD+I?

3. Newbies thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I am using MAc OS x 10.5.8

4. Newbies thread starter macrumors newbie

When I press CMD+I there are 2 users, i.e owner which that have read and write, the second account is everyone with read only. What else can I do, still getting the popup window saying: "some of the items you are moving are in use by another application." click skip, stop or continue.

Any help will be appreciated

5. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Your best bet is Terminal -- provided there is some handy way of identifying and isolating those items. In a perfect world, they all have a .emlx extension on their filenames perhaps. Is that the case?

If so, then...

ls ~/Desktop/*.emlx

should list all the items (and only those items), and...

rm -f ~/Desktop/*.emlx

should wipe them all out in a flash.

If that last one results in some sort of 'access denied' message, the command could be prefixed with sudo.

6. Newbies thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks, running the command from the terminal window did the tricks.