Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newbies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Hi All,

I need help deletting emlx files that was accidentaly copied to the desktop. When I highlight all the files to drag it to the trash a popup windows appears with the option to Skip, Stop or Continue. I have to manually click on either skip or continue for all the 10,000 files which is going to take me couple of days.

My question is, are there any command or builtin application that can delete these files without asking for confirmation?

Please help.

Newbies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Thanks, I am using MAc OS x 10.5.8

When I press CMD+I there are 2 users, i.e owner which that have read and write, the second account is everyone with read only. What else can I do, still getting the popup window saying: "some of the items you are moving are in use by another application." click skip, stop or continue.

Any help will be appreciated

Hal Itosis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2010
Hi All,

I need help deletting emlx files that was accidentaly copied to the desktop. When I highlight all the files to drag it to the trash a popup windows appears with the option to Skip, Stop or Continue. I have to manually click on either skip or continue for all the 10,000 files which is going to take me couple of days.

My question is, are there any command or builtin application that can delete these files without asking for confirmation?
Your best bet is Terminal -- provided there is some handy way of identifying and isolating those items. In a perfect world, they all have a .emlx extension on their filenames perhaps. Is that the case?

If so, then...

ls ~/Desktop/*.emlx

should list all the items (and only those items), and...

rm -f ~/Desktop/*.emlx

should wipe them all out in a flash.

If that last one results in some sort of 'access denied' message, the command could be prefixed with sudo.

Newbies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Your best bet is Terminal -- provided there is some handy way of identifying and isolating those items. In a perfect world, they all have a .emlx extension on their filenames perhaps. Is that the case?

If so, then...

ls ~/Desktop/*.emlx

should list all the items (and only those items), and...

rm -f ~/Desktop/*.emlx

should wipe them all out in a flash.

If that last one results in some sort of 'access denied' message, the command could be prefixed with sudo.

Many thanks, running the command from the terminal window did the tricks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.