deleting music....sort of....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maksimczyk, Feb 22, 2012.

1. maksimczyk macrumors newbie

Hi There,

tried searching but my question is a little complicated!

i am in need of freeing up a lot of space on my macbook and noticed my music folder is taking up a large portion! my itunes folder within the music folder says its taking up 70 GB which is about right but then i have all the other folders below with artists and albums etc.? am i correct in thinking that if i delete all of those folders i will still have all my music on my hard drive within iTunes?

hope you see what i mean!!

Cheers

2. simsaladimbamba

Those folders contain your music, thus deleting them, will get rid of your music.
    What about using an external HDD for storage and backup purposes?

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

In iTunes under Preferences-->Advance do you have "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" checked?

If so you probably have a copy of then in 2 places. But it may not be all of the music you have under Music.

You can test this very simply
    * Create new folder under music called MyMusic
    * Move all of the Artist/Album folders to the new MyMusic folder.
    * Open up iTunes.
    * Select ALL your songs (highlight them ALL)
    * Do a right click to get the popup menu and select "Get Info"
    * In the BPM field put in a 1 (or whatever) and click OK.

This will update all tracks. Any missing tracks will have an Exclamation point. You can then do a get info on them to see if they are being stored outside your iTunes folder. If so then you will have to manually move them or drag the folders into iTunes so it can copy them into the iTunes folder.

If you don't see any Exclamation points then your safe to delete the MyMusic folder or copy it off to an external drive before deleting.

4. skasol macrumors 6502

How can I move the iTunes library to external g-drive?