Deleting network files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cranberry26, Aug 2, 2008.

1. cranberry26 macrumors newbie

If you are not logged on as “adminstrator” on a network computer, a list of files will come up that doesn’t actually include all of the files on the “adminstrator” computer. You can “open” documents from this list but you are not allowed to “save” on this list. When you log on as “adminstrator”, you then get the complete list and are allowed to “save”. On Finder, when you are logged in as “adminstrator”, the list that comes up includes the “administrator” folder which includes the “document” folder which includes all of the folders and you are allowed to “save”. If you are logged in as your individual computer name, you get the list of folders that is not complete and you cannot “save” to these. My question is how do you get rid of this list where you cannot save to? If I go to the “administrator” computer, this list does not show up and it doesn’t allow me to “drag” the names to the trash from either of the other computers. I mainly want to get rid of the useless list so that we are not confused as to where we are when we are signed in.

2. Latro macrumors member

You need to have read & write privileges on the account you're signing in as. You can usually set this in System Preferences with the computer you're logging in to and the Account you're logging in as.