deleting old TM backups

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoran, Dec 2, 2010.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

I want to delete an older unused TM backup, but when i try to delete files from that backup i get the message that they cannot be deleted... what do i do?

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Time Machine will overwrite them with new back ups when the disk is full :cool:

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I ordered a Time Capsule the other day and it should be arriving today. Is there a way when setting up Time Machine so that it doesn't use all 1 TB of the hard drive for Time Machine. I want to be able to use some of the memory just as an External Hard Drive.

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

thanx for the help, but i dont want to be using the external HD any more for backups, and i also have stuff i want in other folders near the TMbackup folder.

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

in my external HD i use for backups i have creted 2 different partitions, so in one partition i can use it for TMand the other i can use it for file storage

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Do you know if you can do those partitions on a Time Capsule?

7. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Not much of a description there, but a safe guess is that you're simply doing it the wrong way (i.e., through Finder). Use Time Machine itself, to access its own database. Instead of deleting all backups (as discussed in that link), first navigate via Time Machine to the particular dated snapshot that you want it to delete... and then the menu item will reference that specific snapshot.

8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

im sorry i dont know if you can do this on TimeCapsule :(

9. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

i cant use TM do do this because this backup belongs to a different computer i have no longer access to, so i guess ill have to do it manually

10. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Does that mean you've already tried? (i.e., via the "Browse Other Time Machine Disks" method, accessible by holding the option key while clicking on TM's dock icon or menu extra).

11. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

i didnt know about this option, ok thanx this works great ;)

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Using your internal drive as your backup drive is a poor and a dangerous decision (if I understand what you're looking to do). The only advantage that TM gives you with that approach is restoring/recovering files/folders from deletion/changes. If you have a disk issue on that internal drive, you lose your data and backup.

Personally, given the low cost of external drives, it doesn't make sense to try to squeeze a backup on an internal drive. Have the backup on a separate external drive and you increase the safety of your data.

13. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

no this isn't the case, maybe there is a misunderstanding, i agree with you, my case is solved this tread can be closed, thanx again everybody

14. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can partition the Time Capsule drive, by the way.

15. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Nah. In any good backup strategy you need multiple locations, and one internal drive on my Mac Pro is used for TM backups. Add the external of course and that's at least two different locations. I use four locations but I am paranoid.
    I see no issue with using a bay in a Pro as the primary backup, as long as you have one more externally.

16. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Thanks.