Deleting Opera Browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MikeyC, Mar 8, 2008.

1. MikeyC macrumors newbie

I am having trouble removing the Opera browser from my mac (10.5.2).

I have never installed it myself, however, when downloading torrents, Opera decides it MUST deal with it, even though I have a preffered torrent program.

Opera doesn't show up on spotlight or finder searches so I don't know where it is hiding for me to delete it.

Can anyone advise me?

2. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Do you have Dreamweaver installed? I think it comes with that. To fix your torrent problem, however, right click a .torrent file, and click 'Get Info'. Under Open With, change it to your torrent program using the drop down list and click the 'Change All...' button.

Steve

3. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Have you ever tried actually using it? :p If you found a solution to your torrent problem and used Opera a bit, I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Maybe not, but just a guess.

4. MikeyC thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, Opera is horrible! Torrents are really slow, and as for web browsing, i find the app hideous!

I use transmission for torrents, and it screams! I've downloaded whole albums in 3-5 mins on transmission, and the same thing has taken 30 odd mins in Opera.

Therefore, although its only tiny, I may as well delete it as it wont get used, and it keeps auto opening if i accidentally double click a torrent file!!

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

What you should have done is acquire a nifty application such as AppZapper or AppDelete to remove all the plist files and preference files.

6. MikeyC thread starter macrumors newbie

I have cs3 design premium, but its not in there I already looked!

Spotlight search only finds an opera gif file, though if i right click a torrent file, Opera 9.10 and Opera 9.20 are both options to download the file!!! :confused:

I haven't deleted it yet! I cant find it to delete!!!

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

It comes with Adobe apps and is located in one of the adobe folders, I dont know which one, probably somewhere in application support.

If you dont want it to open torrents then right click the file to get info, then change the default app that torrents open in.

8. MikeyC thread starter macrumors newbie

Found it. My solution was to open a torrent in Opera, then select 'Keep in dock'. After i exited Opera, a right click open came up 'Show in finder'!!

It was hidden deeply (about 5 folders in) inside Adobe Bridge.

Downloaded AppDelete to get rid of it once and for all.

Thanks everyone!!

9. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Ah, that's a shame. Glad you found the solution to your problem, anyways. I guess superiority isn't for everyone :p

10. wagg34 macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. I was having the same torrent-related problem (very annoying...), and the "Keep in Dock" > "Show In Finder" > AppZapper solution was so easy. :) Much appreciated.

11. Superfulcrum macrumors newbie

Hope no one minds me bumping an old thread but just wanted to add my 2ps worth.

Not knowing why the heck Transmission had stopped loading my torrents and suddenly being presented with Opera was the first real hiccup install wise after a blissful month as a new Mac user (20 years on PCs!). I should have known better than to install the CS4 demo without thoroughly checking things out first. I've been using Photoshop since v3 but that has become a bloated desktop fly tipper and Adobe are just too windozed to know how to do a polite and proper install; they might have suggested a sub folder before adding some 20 odd entries to my apps.

Anyway thanks for the tips, AppDelete did a perfect job - even made a folder for the garbage in the trash!!

12. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

brilliant ! that works ! got rid of it with appzapper, but the entry on the Services menu is still there. Service Scrubber fixed that. Now if I could just edit the signed apps listed.....

13. 932ky macrumors newbie

Thank you so much. I was having the same problem and i was starting to get very aggravated. Thank God for google and mac rumors!

14. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

15. mushr00m macrumors newbie

16. jaysea01 macrumors newbie

Perfect...

I have another program that defaults for my torrents but it was such a pester to see it on the list, as I used it before and I was not happy. Thanks for the tip!!!

17. pedder macrumors newbie