Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
It seems I'm unable to delete the "Pictures" folder in my user's root-folder. Actually I'm not surprised as I it seems to be a standard folder in OSX, but what has been done to prevent being deleted and apart from it being the default location for keeping iPhoto libraries/images (or other photo related apps), is there something special happening "under the hood" for that folder?

I'm asking because I have a problem with Adobe Lightroom seeing it spelt all-capitalized "PICURES" while in reality, on my hard drive it's spelt "Pictures", so I'm concluding that there must be something wrong with that folder and got the idea to create a new folder (i.e. "Temporary pictures"), move all my photos over there, delete (the now empty) "Pictures" folder, then finally rename "Temporary pictures" to "Pictures. But like I said, "Pictures" seems to be a special folder and I don't want to potentially mess up something by forcing its removal (I haven't for instance attempted a forced removal using Terminal using the recursive removal command).

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Yes, I assumed it would be re-created.
But if there's something wrong with it, what could it be since OSX isn't a case-sensitive filing system?

I mean to ask: are there any underlying things which sets this folder apart from any other folder, or is it just set up by default to not be deletable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.