Deleting parallels and VM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scott7975, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

Hey all, I am new to Mac. I installed parallels 9 and created a VM and I used bootcamp. I decided I like bootcamp better so I want to get rid of the VM and parallels 9.

In windows I could go to control panel and uninstall anything from a populated list. How can I get rid of this stuff in Mac?

2. mrmors macrumors member

The actual VM you made is probably located in your user area under /documents/parallels or something like that - delete the VM from there, or rclick on the VM in parallels and then select delete.

To delete the app, drag it into the recycle bin.

3. Scott7975 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's it? Trash can and its gone? Wow, that's too easy lol.

4. mrmors macrumors member

Yep, dead easy. The app and the VM are pretty much single files as far as you're concerned :)

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's the whole point behind a Mac. Welcome to OS X.

6. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Um, what world do you live in? That may work for some simple app but not for something as complicated as VMWare or Parallels. Both have uninstallers on their install DMGs to remove all the support files that are installed outside of the Applications folder.

Many, many applications and games store files outside of the Applications folder. Most of the time the leftover files will just eat up space, more integrated applications can affect your system. Applications like VMWare, Parallels, Virtual Box, Paragon's NTFS driver, and others will require you to run their uninstaller to remove all the files from your computer.

A helpful hint: If an application has an uninstaller, it probably stores files in other locations outside of the Applications folder.

-P