Deleting Parallels

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Theo6, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Theo6 macrumors newbie

Trying to completely delete Parallels.
    HD search found 4 Parallels items in Library

-dragged each folder to trash

2 items won't delete due to:

llipd in use
    pvsnatd in use

Please advise.

Where do you go to enter script lingo (i.e., sudo /Library....etc)
    for editing StartUpItems?

Thanks in advance for help :eek:

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Well for "script lingo" you just use Terminal. (Found in Applications>Utilities)

An easier way to edit Startup Items is to go to System Prefs>Accounts>Click on the account you were using and then click on the "Login Items" tab.

Hope this helps!

3. brkirch macrumors regular

If you want to uninstall Parallels you should use its uninstaller (it is on the same disk image as the installer). Virtualization programs always have a number of system extensions for networking, the virtualization engine and device support, so it is not a great idea to uninstall by hand anyway as you will probably miss something.

4. Theo6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, although I not find Parallels under Login Items tab.

Also, there is also no uninstaller with this version of Parallels.

Should I rely on the Terminal scripting (found elsewhere on this forum)
    to remove the last 2 remnants of Parallels?
    (commands include sudo rm -rf /various components)

I cannot empty them from trash, even with Admin pw.

Just tidying up. Thanks for any additional advice --

5. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Well if those processes are still running you wont be able to but you can quit them in Activity Monitor or a restart may work too.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Parallels installs a hidden files and a few kexts in the system folder so its a bit hard to completely uninstall.

the uninstaller is not in the Parallels folder in Applications. its on the Parallels disk image. either insert you install CD or download an update.

7. perkeo macrumors newbie

Try Secure Empty Trash to delete llipd

I uninstalled Parallels from my machine using AppZapper and the file llipd was left behind. I know I should have used the uninstaller in Parallels but I am so used to using AppZapper that I didn't even think about using the uninstaller in Parallels. As a result I couldn't get rid of llipd until I tried Secure Empty Trash.

The simplest workaround and the first one you should try to force delete a file that won't delete in Mac OS X is to drag the problematic file to the Trash, then (while in the Finder) select "Secure Empty Trash" from the "File" menu and voila, the file is gone for good.

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Actually the easiest way is to move the items into the trash and then reboot. Upon reboot these items are no longer loaded, contained and referenced in kernel memory. Then you can empty the trash without a problem.

9. firefoxsilver9 macrumors newbie

i'm having an issue with getting rid of the "Windows" application entries that Parallels created during Coherence mode or whatever. Appzapper and AppFresh still lists them.