Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nydator

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
I just discovered that when I have deleted photos in iPhoto, they disappear from the iPhoto library, but remain on the hard disk (ie, still appear in the Finder). Does this mean I have to delete them all again through the finder, or is there a way to delete them totally through iPhoto?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep

iPhoto has it's own trash system: have you emptied the trash in iPhoto?

Seconded.

It took me a try or two before I figured this out when I first started using iPhoto. I kept deleting pictures and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting disk space back.

Nydator

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks, guys! I didn't realise iPhoto had its own trash system. 425 unwanted photos deleted with one click!

neuhofer

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Russell, MB
I'm having same difficulty and am baffled as to how to actually remove images from the HD. I'm new to Mac as well. I imported from external drive (where I had saved my pictures from Windows machine). I'm using a managed, not referenced library.

If I delete and empty trash within iPhoto 08 - I can still find the image in finder . . . somewhat confused by how these things are handled.

How do I physically remove those images within iPhoto to conserver HD space?

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
in iPhoto preferences, you can choose whether or not you want to copy the files when adding to the iPhoto library, similar to itunes. If this option is checked, you will have a 2nd copy impedded in the iPhoto library folder (right click on the icon and select to "show package contents, you will see, by date, folders of the duplicate photos). I have never not had this option checked, as I too keep my photos on an external and know that if they are duplicated in the iPhoto library, they are all backed up at least one level. for sure, if this option is checked, you will have to delete from the finder. If the option is unchecked, I don't know. Just test it.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
There used to be a freeware program called iPhoto Library Diet. It would remove the deleted photos, originals that have been edited, dupes, and what not. Here it is. It looks like it has not yet been updated for iPhoto '08.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.