Deleting pics

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Oct 7, 2015.

1. tl01, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

tl01 macrumors 68000

I need to delete pics off my phone... Once backed up, deleting pics from my camera roll is okay right? It won't affect any of my backups?

And once I set up iCloud Photo Library does it continue to upload my pics when the upload to my computer automatically?

2. Instabux macrumors newbie

Instabux

Save pics to your computer and then delete them from your phone

3. CaCHooKa Man macrumors member

CaCHooKa Man

If you use iCloud then whatever you delete on your phone will also be deleted from iCloud

4. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

If I delete my camera roll will it delete from iCloud Photo Library?

5. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Once you setup iCloud Photo Library, you no longer have a "camera roll." All of your photos are uploaded to iCloud and mirrored on all of your devices. You can set it up to optimize storage on your phone by choosing to only have the thumbnails, and it will load the higher quality photo when you go to view it.

6. CaCHooKa Man macrumors member

CaCHooKa Man

Yes. iCloud doesn't have selective sync and whenever you delete photos or videos it deletes from all your devices. You have 30 days to restore or permanently delete them but after that they're gone forever. If you want to be able to delete them from your phone without deleting your backup I'd suggest using another service like Google Photos, OneDrive or Dropbox.

7. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

I thought that was photo stream? I just uploaded my whole photo library to iCloud Photo Library from my computer which syncs wirelessly to my phone.

8. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

I am so confused! Please excuse my stupidity.

My phone still has camera roll set up. I know I can just have the thumbnails of the photos but somehow I prefer to have everything in my phone too until I see it on my computer. Right now, most of my 64 gb phone is photos so I do need to do something about it.

Does the phone upload the photos to iCloud Photo Library via wifi or does my computer do it? I have been planning to do a one to one appt at the Apple Store for all this to make sure I fully understand but they haven't had many available when my kids are in school.

9. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

The phone will upload to iCloud over wifi. I don't think it syncs with Windows, but if you're using a Mac, all your photos from the phone will show up in Photos, and any photos you import to the computer from a camera will also automatically be synced to the phone.

10. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you. And then if I delete my camera roll pics... The pics in Photos, and iCloud Photo Library are safe right?

11. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay so I see what was said before... The all
    Photos. I hadn't started iCloud library on my phone too. Just on my computer. So I have way too many pics to have them all on any phone;). But...I assume it keeps the full size until they are safely uploaded right via wifi. What if you travel for a while with no wifi. It just keeps the full size until all is good and then they become thumbnail?

12. sincere11105 macrumors 6502

If I delete a photo from my iPhone, it'll delete from my google photos. Not sure why