Deleting Posts in "Desktop" Threads That Don't Provide Links

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ucfgrad93, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Each month in the Picture Gallery forum there is a thread started of XXXX Desktops. (Where XXXX is the month name) The first post usually includes instructions on the various rules of posting in that thread. One rule is about posting a link to the image.

Inevitably, there are many, many posts which don't follow this particular rule. I propose that the moderators of this site automatically delete any post in the Desktop thread that doesn't follow this rule.

What do you think?

Edit: Mods can you post a poll? Thanks.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

As I stated in this month's thread, I am all for this idea. I've taken the time, in the past, to go through and report problem posts (such as one word "Thanks!" posts, and posts that quote images) in the desktop threads, and these threads are usually the worst to go through, not only for the reasons I mentioned, but especially because of the rampant violation of the "no link" rule.

And while I think that the initial load of moderator work would be greater, I think that people will get used to the rules and the result will be a much better, easier to read thread.

EDIT: Hmmm...interesting. My post, reminding viewers to post links (after 6 of the first 7 (at the time) failed to follow the directions), got deleted, but those posts that violate the rules are still there. So...reminding people of the rules- not okay; breaking the rules- okay. Got it. (;

3. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

But some of us don't know where it came from, or took the picture themselves and have nowhere to upload it

4. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is fine, but just say so in the original post.

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

How about putting them in Time Out? If I don't have a link, I post the original along with my desktop. I just don't understand all these folks who seem to insist on not paying attention. Keeping track of images and icon sets is a bit of a pain, but it's something I feel I owe the forum.

Dale

6. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I'll link to this thread in the mods forum so the idea can be discussed.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I would think (and hope) that no one will be getting temp bans simply for not posting a link to a desktop image.

It might be annoying, but it doesn't justify a ban.

8. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Thank you.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It isn't technically a rule of the forum more like a very strong suggestion for those particular threads.

It was bought about by those threads getting a bit silly in regards to the issues highlighted in the post and it has made a difference however there is a balance that we have to maintain and we don't want to be too punitive. There may well be lots of reasons as to why members do not post the links/originals and simply deleting those posts straight off the bat would come across as being over zealous to many people.

10. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Maybe the recommendation that goes with the first post each month should be for whoever wants a particular background that is not linked, to PM the poster instead of just replying with a quote of the message and asking for the image. Just a thought.

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

but you still may get that because some members dont accept PM's.

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Is there something in phpBB that lets short messages be displayed above the message box, that way everyone will see the message when they post. A lot of people never see that first post and read the instructions.

Mods and Admins (gods) would only be allowed to do this to prevent abuse. You would set this message when you create/edit your OP?

13. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i think putting people in time out for not including a link to a desktop (or even deleting their post) would simply kill the thread. just something to consider. it's a fun thread in the pictures forum, not a government form.

14. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

MR uses vBulletin and I know that InsanelyMac allows you to put a short discription of your thread when you post it.

I just played with my vBulletin and found that you can use post tags to show at the bottom of the thread (above quick reply but MR does not use this) information such as this but MR does not have that ether. I suppose a moderator or admin could add them to the thread

(Also this test showd how easy it is to SPAM with quick reply)

Attached Files:

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Tags are there to help with the search capabilities, generally in other forums I visit I usually don't see the tags.

I believe it is possible to post messages in the new post dialog however I don't think it is possible to restrict the message to just one thread.