Deleting programs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blakefire, Jan 1, 2011.

1. blakefire macrumors newbie

2. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

usually you want to use the programs uninstaller, if it has one. Otherwise you may have to take a trip to the "library" folder and investigate what the program left behind in terms of startup items, preference panes, caches etc.

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I use AppCleaner to remove mine, but some you need to manually track down and remove.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

It's normally a case of going to the Applications folder and dragging the item to the trash. Simple.

There's rarely an uninstaller for most Mac applications.

5. blakefire thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I just came from a PC so I usually run a un-installer.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Right. If there is anything left over it's usually just a plist file (settings XML) that's tiny.

7. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

Thats true of some apps. But Adobe CS3-CS5 for instance sprinkle stuff in almost every conceivable place in the library folder.
    But yeah, for smaller apps, not including audio or video content authoring apps, that is generally true.
    OTOH some companies like MAudio, dont put anything in the app folder at all when you install the driver for their USB keyboards. There is just a little guy they put in the midi folder in the library. So you are left scratching your head, did it go?

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

arg... got appzapper.. wish i knew about app cleaner... sigh oh well...

i suggest appzapper if u want to spend cash (my mistake) but app cleaner looks fine (i am guessing it is like appzapper except freeware)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Neither one is very effective. None of the app removal programs are thorough. The manual method (link in post #7) is far more effective.