Deleting Programs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ElCambo, Jun 7, 2007.

1. ElCambo macrumors regular

Hey just got my macbook yesterday. Kinda new to the whole mac os. To delete a program do i just drag it from the applications folder into the trash? Will that completely get rid of all the data?

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you are paranoid, you can get a program called appZapper that cleans up all the pref files and other stuff that some apps leave behind.

4. 2fives macrumors regular

I find more of the high end programs, eg: photoshop have a more windows like insaller and need to be uninstalled, or at least if you drag the main app to the trash there are still 1/2 a dozen folders and crap left behind.

5. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'll throw in another vote for AppZapper, but if you want something free there's also AppDelete.

Those will work for easy drag-and-drop installed apps. If the app comes with an uninstaller (OnyX comes to mind), you should always run the uninstaller.

7. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Try the old fashioned way also
    go into home/library/application support and caches/preferences and see what is left by the program. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DRAG AND DROP INTO THE TRASH CAN SOMETHING THAT IS INTIGRAL TO YOUR SYSTEM.. NO COM.APPLE STUFF!! an example of this would be com.skype.skype.plist This is also a good way of checking out how the folder system works, and how it is set up.