Deleting Recovery Partition on External HD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SaddleSC, Aug 8, 2011.

1. SaddleSC macrumors member

Hi Guys,
    Here is my story...

I have a 13" MBP (2010) that I was using with an Intel X25 SSD Drive on Snow Leopard. The computer was working perfectly. I upgraded to Lion and the fans started going nuts, the computer could not hold its WiFi at all. So...I replaced my HD with the a clone of my original drive created in Carbon Copy Cloner to restore my computer to where it was prior to the Lion upgrade.

I now have my original Intel SSD drive mounted in an external enclosure and I am trying to completely erase/reformat it, but I cannot figure out how to accomplish this. I have tried doing it in terminal (connected to my machine running Snow Leopard), but I keep getting an error message that the partitions cannot be merged.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. All I want to do is COMPLETELY reformat my SSD and start from scratch. How do I get rid of this darn hidden Lion Recovery partition?

2. titan4 macrumors newbie

You should be able to repartition it with SL. Just use Disk Utility, select the disk, Partition tab and select 1 partition under Partition Layout. That should delete everything and make one partition.

That should work with Disk Utility with Lion as well.