Deleting SD versions of TV Shows in iTunes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by sulliweb, Mar 13, 2012.

1. sulliweb macrumors regular

sulliweb

Anyone have a good how-to on getting rid of the SD versions of TV shows within iTunes. I saw the trick that you can just delete the files, but this still leaves the HD/SD marker on the show in iTunes.

Anyone figured this out?

Thanks!

2. roidy macrumors 6502a

Yep, delete the SD version from your hard drive, then delete the actual episode from iTunes, then re-add the HD version to iTune and it will just show as HD.

3. NightStorm macrumors 68000

One potential negative of deleting the TV show out of the iTunes library is that you lose the play count/status information. Through Google, I stumbled on the post linked below that offers a way to do what you are asking but retain play information. I tried this a couple months ago when I wanted to delete a bunch of SD versions and it worked without issue.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/t...sd-versions-of-videos-from-itunes….195306415/

4. MarkG21 macrumors regular

I'd like to know if there is a way to tell iTunes not to download the SD purchases?

5. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

As of 10.5, it no longer does download the SD version. I noticed this change just showed up recently. For me, iTunes is only downloading the HD version (yeah!)

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Not on my iTunes? I'm running 10.6 and purchasing new movies and TV shows still bundles the SD version with it.

It's only when I download new episodes from TV Season Passes or redownload movies from iCloud does it only download HD versions.

By the way, Nightstorm brings up a good point with the play count/status info being deleted. Thanks for the link! Wish I stumbled upon it before I went ahead deleted all my SD content :eek:

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

That status info of watched or unmatched is good but does anyone really want to see that they watched an episode of Jersey Shore 11 times ;)

8. Ted13 macrumors 6502

The above is from 2010 -- does still work in 10.6.3?

9. sonovale macrumors member

I would like to welcome you for your good question.
    You can ride a horse in the water but you can not make it drink water :)