Deleting Software (Completely)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Drew Davis, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Drew Davis, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

Drew Davis macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm college student, and for my physics class I use some software for mac. Anyway, the school gives us access to the needed programs on their computers. I live off campus, and don't spend much time in the computer lab, so I downloaded a free trail of the software so I could do my work from home. Anyway the free trial expired so I need to re-download it. I don't have any issues with this ethically as it costs the company nothing, and I would not be buying it away. If I cant get this to work I will just do my home work on the school computers that have the software on them.

I have deleted the program, and then I found two .plist files which I also deleted (went back to the date of the install), but when I install a fresh copy of the trial it keeps saying that my trial period has expired. Any idea where else it could be storing the data on my computer? Any help would be great. I need to completely wipe every trace of the original download off my computer.

Also, I hope this is the right part of the forum to post this on.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.osxbytes.com/page1/index.html?forcedownload

The easiest way is to install something like iFileX or similar to allow you to search the entire drive for the files. Once you get iFileX installed just search for the app name like MatLab or whatever and delete the files. Backup first so you don't break anything. Be careful what you delete if the app name is the same as what might be OS X system files.