Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I wasn't sure where to post this so I'm posting it here.

There's a spambot that has a username I want. Is there a way to get their account deleted? Can I contact twitter? Or can I get a bunch of people to report the account for spam? The account was created in 2009 and hasn't tweeted since 2009.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Welcome to the internet.

It's annoying when some worthless assbadger has what you want. You're probably going to have to start thinking of other ideas.

I don't know if twitter re-releases account names or not but I doubt the minimally staffed twitter employees will concern themselves with manually fulfilling a request like that. If they do I'd be impressed.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
If you have a valid claim to the name (you own a company with that name, or it's your own name) then Twitter has a procedure to let you claim it.

A couple of years back I had a few Twitter accounts that I'd set up with random names, and had one of them 'repossessed' by a company in South America (which actually had that name). I wasn't too upset ('cos I hadn't really used it). I researched a bit and found that this was a common occurrence... and is available to those with a legitimate claim.

If it's just some random name that you like then I doubt you'd be successful. In that case you might want to contact the spambot owner and ask if they'd transfer it over (maybe offer 50 bucks or something).

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Welcome to the internet.

It's annoying when some worthless assbadger has what you want. You're probably going to have to start thinking of other ideas.

I don't know if twitter re-releases account names or not but I doubt the minimally staffed twitter employees will concern themselves with manually fulfilling a request like that. If they do I'd be impressed.

I know of people having impersonators accounts deleted but this spambot account isn't impersonating me. It's not even active anymore.

If you have a valid claim to the name (you own a company with that name, or it's your own name) then Twitter has a procedure to let you claim it.

A couple of years back I had a few Twitter accounts that I'd set up with random names, and had one of them 'repossessed' by a company in South America (which actually had that name). I wasn't too upset ('cos I hadn't really used it). I researched a bit and found that this was a common occurrence... and is available to those with a legitimate claim.

If it's just some random name that you like then I doubt you'd be successful. In that case you might want to contact the spambot owner and ask if they'd transfer it over (maybe offer 50 bucks or something).

It's my first name so I'm not sure if that means I have a claim over it or not. Probably not since I'm sure a lot of other people have the same first name as me. I just thought I'd give it a try since it's a spambot that isn't even active. So I'm not sure if I'd have any luck contacting the spambot. I'll give it a try but $50 seems like too much.

I got a bunch of my friends to report that account for spam, which it really is. I'm not sure if it'll get deleted though since it hasn't been active for a few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.