deleting songs directly?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by surajnangia, Jun 17, 2007.

1. surajnangia macrumors 6502

Hi

I had to delete quite a few songs from my itunes library..
    Is there any way that when i delete songs from the itunes it also gets deleted from the comp. My HD in nearly ful. I have seen when i dleete songs ffrom the itunes and then search the same song through spotlight , the songs shows up there.. is there no direct way...

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Whenever I delete a song from iTunes, it asks whether I want to delete the file or just its entry in iTunes. Is yours not doing this?

3. surajnangia thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you're deleting songs from playlists and not directly under the Library, you - effectively - only delete them from the playlist. If you want to delete them from whatever playlist you got, you need to hold down the option (aka alt) button while deleting, you'll then be prompted about wanting to move the file to Trash or not...

If you're not prompted (either when deleting from the Library or playlists with the option held down) you may try to reset the warnings (which I could have sworn was possible to do easily, like with the iPods, but I cannot find it now. One way might be to move, rename or - if you're absolutely sure you don't need any of the settings (the library is separate) - delete the com.apple.iTunes.plist and com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist in your ~/Library/Preferences/ folder where ~/ is your Home folder).