deleting startup apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hipnomac, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Hipnomac macrumors regular

Hipnomac

I am running 10.4.11 on my macbook, and I have a program for a wireless extender that runs on startup, I would like to stop this from running on start up.

Where can I manage and edit the programs that run on start up.

Also, the app is located in utilities, if i delete it from here, will it be gone from every where, I am using apptrapper.

thanks!

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

From the Dock ....

Click and hold on the icon for the program, a menu should pop up. You should see a checkmark next to "Open at Login." Select that entry and the checkmark should go away. Application won't run at startup.

If the program doesn't have an icon in the Dock, use Spotlight to search for a folder called "StartupItems." You may find the program icon, or an alias, there.

mt

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

the apps that load on startup are usually found in system preferences --> accounts --> login items.

remove the app from login items, and it should no longer load on startup.

4. Hipnomac thread starter macrumors regular

Hipnomac

It was in neither of these.

It was not in the startupitems folder, nor in accounts---> loginitems

any other suggestions.

the app is located in the utilities folder, if i delete it will it delete it everywhere?

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Go to system preferences and then account and then login items. add/delete whatever you like.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Except for the fact that the OP said in the post right above yours that his problem app was not in "Login Items" (as originally suggested by vandozza) or the Startupitems folder. ;)

7. Hipnomac thread starter macrumors regular

Hipnomac

any suggestions sickmacdock?

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Not right off the bat since you have checked the two most common places, but I do have a couple of ideas to look in to-- but first need to know more about app itself that won't die! ;) What is the name of the program you are trying to kill, and did it come with a hardware component?

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have a suggestion. There are a few programs that use user-unfriendly ways of launching themselves at startup. One of these methods is using launchd control lists, which can be viewed and edited by a little tool called Lingon. Make sure you download the right version for your operating system, if you decide to use this tool.

10. Hipnomac thread starter macrumors regular

Hipnomac

Its called WLan, its a compenant for Wifire.

http://www.hfield.com/the-wi-fire/

It doesn't really work that well, I live in a city, and thought I would be able to pick up more signals.

The interface runs on startup every time.

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK- guess I have one more question then that I am not clear about after re-reading the thread. Do you want to remove the Wlan altogether, or do you desire to keep it on your system and just not have it startup automatically?

The reason I ask is that I downloaded the Mac software installer from that website, and in the installation package it does have a folder containing an uninstaller to remove the package from your system, so thought I would ask as that should clear it out if that is what you desire.

I'm still looking at the autostarting part.

EDIT: OK, tried the installer and got absolutely nowhere as the startup does not show up in the launchd control lists either, so have to throw in the towel on this sorry to say. Perhaps the manufacturers support can help you through this. I can say that the uninstaller included with the software does work fine (in spite of the button inside it saying "Install" incorrectly) in removing the software which I have already done. That is one odd piece of Mac software, that is for sure.

12. Hipnomac thread starter macrumors regular

Hipnomac

I ran the uninstaller, which is what I wanted. Thanks for all your help.

I had lost the disk that came with the hardware, and didnt realize that there was an uninstaller included.

thanks again.

13. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Good deal- success in the end is all that counts! ;) Glad to hear it!