Deleting stuff listed on capacity bar, that's not there

Discussion in 'iPod' started by eyeguy28, Feb 22, 2008.

1. eyeguy28 macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm a new Ipod user and totally baffled here. Please help.
    Let me explain what I know. I have a 60 gb ma147Ll Ipod classic. A friend gave it to me recently. He upgraded. He told me he deleted everything that was on it. I connected it to my computer, which is a PC. I tried loading a couple of pics and did that successfully. Before I load music, I looked at the capacity bar on the bottom of the summary page.
    It shows I have 1.7 mg photos (those are the 2 pics I loaded as a test), no music and it says I have 31.32 gb "other" and 24.44 gb free space.
    But there is NO music or anything of mine on the IPOD except those 2 pics.
    I have NO idea how to delete what's there. On the left side of the Music Library it only gives me options for loading music.

If anyone can walk me through what to do, I'd really appreciate it as I'm dying to load music and start using the Ipod.
    Please emaile me at eyeguy28@yahoo.com and/or post here. I'll check back. But obviously am missing something here.
    Thanks
    Rick

2. eyeguy28 thread starter macrumors newbie

let me try it a different way-HELP please?

For those that didn't follow my post above, let me try this again in a clear and simple way. When I plug in my IPOD, it says there's all 24 gigs of stuff there (not music, or pics, or movies or books), and I can't seem to delete it. Says that in the music library.

Anyway to simply wipeout the whole thing and start over? I've saved my real music in my music library, so wiping out the pod's library would be ok.

Thanks
    Rick
    eyeguy28@yahoo.com

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I've heard things like that happening, but not experienced it myself. If you're happy you have everything off the iPod that you need, I'd just Restore it.

4. eyeguy28 thread starter macrumors newbie

restoring?

yeah, I'm sure I have everything off it that I want, cause I've never had anything I want on it. How do you restore it? or put it back to when it was new. I'm new at this, so please walk me through how you do it, if you don't mind. Just want to free up all those gigs of space, so I can load a lot of music.
    Thanks
    Rick

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Connect your iPod to your computer and select it in iTunes, this will bring up the screen that says how much stuff is on your iPod (also known as the Summary page). In the middle of the page there should be two buttons, one asking to check for updates, the other saying "Restore". Click Restore. This will reinstall the firmware and revert your iPod to it's factory settings (ie: the state it was in when you bought it).

6. eyeguy28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Restoring it to factory settings will get rid of the stuff I can't seem to. Thanks so much for your suggestions.
    Rick

7. sorrow123 macrumors newbie

????????

here is why u need to do.plug in your ipod.wen itunes pops up minimize it.find the ipod icon on your desktop and open it.you should find the crap you dont need in there.no need to restore ithttp://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif