Deleting Stuff

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ppcg4mac, Feb 22, 2012.

1. ppcg4mac macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

I am running really short on space (20GB Hard drive) in my G4, can someone please help me by telling me what i can (safely) delete, and if there is a app to get rid of the Intel parts of apps.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. simsaladimbamba

To find out, where you hard drive capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications and see, if any of YOUR data can be safely deleted:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

You can also use Monlingual to remove unwanted languages and architectures.
    You can also delete printer drivers in Library / Printers.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree, both with -aggie- and simsaladimbamba's recommendation of Monolingual, and -aggie-'s recommendation to be careful when using it. Removing the wrong architecture or language can have adverse effects on your Mac's operation. Also, if you have Garageband and you're not using it, you can move the loops to an external drive (don't just delete them, as you may decide you want them later). I'm assuming you have most of your user data stored on an external drive already.

5. ppcg4mac thread starter macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

Thanks, ill get Monolingual, i already have Onyx. The GarageBand loops are on another drive. Ive increased my storage by 16 GB with a old flash drive.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

I will point out that you can easily get 20-times the storage of your current HDD for less than $50 and not have to worry about what to keep and what to throw out. I replaced my iMac Sage's 20GB internal with a 120GB several years ago without issue.

Either internal replacement of the drive, or an external where you can store all data while maintaining apps on the internal.

7. ppcg4mac thread starter macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

i totally would but im in highschool, and need other items more. on my other g4 i need to get a usb hub because one port is broken.i have to type with my mouse.