Deleting the OTA from iphone

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by FatPuppy, Sep 14, 2014.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Is it tru that on ios 7.1.2 I can delete an OTA download from my iphone? Can I delete the ios 8 ota from my iphone when ios 8 come out?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't believe you can delete the OTA from the phone, both iOS7 and 8

3. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I was pretty sure that it deletes once you upgrade to the version that it downloaded.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Starting with iOS 7.1, you can delete the OTA update data. I don't recall how exactly.

5. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

In 7.1 , you were indeed able to remove the OTA by going into Settings/General/Usage, selecting the OTA file from the Storage section there and deleting it. I think you'll probably be able to do the same on 7.1.2, but who knows :)

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

This is good info. to know for those that don't want to update to iOS8 in a few days.

7. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

But if we delete iOS 8 OTA data, won't it download it again? That would be waste of bandwidth. We cant prevent the update from being downloaded I guess. It's by design. :p

8. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Than we leave the OTA on the phone and when we need that space, we delete the OTA:p

9. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

But the phone will try again to download constantly pinging update server.

10. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Not really, once you reach a certain amount of storage, the ios will say that it is not enough space available for the OTA download.

11. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

You can. Here's a bit more info about deleting over the air updates

12. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Jailbreak it, that'll put an end to this.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Hopefully the ability to delete means it includes some setting that would prevent another automatic download of that update as part of that process, otherwise it's a somewhat meaningless feature (in a general sense at least).

14. Sonicmojo macrumors member

If you block the Apple download site on your home router and be sure to leave wi-fi OFF when charging your device (Airplane Mode) or simply power it off - it is impossible for the download to occur.

You need wi-fi enabled AND a hard power source connected before any download of the OTA update will occur. If you simply have wi-fi on in your day to day activities - you are good to go.

But as soon as you connect hard power - that's when the download will try to sneak in the side door.

Sonic.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

i don't know about iOS 8 since i don't have an OTA to try but until iOS 7, at least some versions, yes you could see the download in the Usage and delete it.

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You can use iExplorer or DiskAid to delete the file.

17. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Disabling automatic downloading of app and updates stops auto download.

18. chances14 macrumors member

chances14

no it doesn't. that is only for apps in the app store. that does not apply to system updates

19. Sonicmojo macrumors member

Correct. There is no way to stop this OTA download if you do not block mesu.apple.com AND ensure that wi-fi is NEVER on when hard power is connected to any iDevice that can handle iOS8.

Sonic

20. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Unless you jailbreak, there is simply no way to delete the OTA from your iPhone. As soon as you connect again to WIFI, it downloads in the background.

If you do a DFU RESTORE from backup and you still use iOS 7, it will still update to the latest firmware. I am not sure if you do a full manual RESTORE if that happens.

In any event, Apple insists the download goes through. If you're luck enough to have enough storage, you can keep the 4+ GB dead space the OTA consumes and not update.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

As of ios 7.1 you can delete the downloaded update.

22. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Go to settings, App Store and uncheck Automatic downloads for Apps and Updates.

After you do that, from iOS 7.1 onwards, go to Settings -> General -> Usage -> Show all Apps. Then delete any partially downloaded iOS update file.

That's it. The update file will never download even if you connect the iPhone or iPad to charger. But you can still go and download it manually. But again once initiated manually, it will keep on downloading till you delete update file.

Verified to work on iPad Air, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s all on iOS 7.1.2

Leave a like if you find this post useful and let everyone know how to preserve space on their 16 GB devices.

23. Sonicmojo macrumors member

This piece is incorrect. The "Updates" implied here are NOT system firmware updates. They are updates to current installed apps. This setting only effects App store stuff and have nothing to do whatsoever with stopping iOS8 from infecting your device.

Example - My wife's iPad has had this "Updates" slider (under App Store) set to off since she got this thing. She still got the iOS8 file without consent or warning.

This is correct. I just did it on the wifes ipad last night. The little "1" badge unfortunately is showing on her Settings icon - but the giant file has been purged.

I am not certain this piece is correct. I will need to test some more to confirm. Even with mesu.apple.com blocked at the router - I am still skeptical whether or not with iPad wi-fi on and it was connected to hard power - the update file WILL try to infect the machine again.

Sonic

24. Neebee macrumors 6502a

damn, i jailbreaked for nothing. now i can't get 7.1.2 back should i do a dfu restore.

25. Neebee macrumors 6502a

do we have an update on this? i just successfully reinstalled ioS 7.1.2.
    Pangu jailbreak is unstable for me, otherwise i would have kept my 5 "broken"