Deleting Tiger after Leopard update?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by appleimaclover, Nov 7, 2007.

1. appleimaclover macrumors newbie

hey,
    im about to update from Tiger to Leopard on my new iMac but was wondering;
    is there a way to delete Tiger 10.4 (Either using a special application or just pressing delete etc...) after you ahve updated to Leopard 10.5 as this would free up space and not slow down my computer,
    thanks in advance,
    appleimaclover

2. luffx macrumors regular

Depends how you go about installing Leopard...

When you 'upgrade', the leopard system files overwrite the Tiger system files. You aren't really losing space.

If you 'Archive & Install', you will see a separate System folder for Tiger, which you could delete. (but then you must manually port over any docs/apps.)

If you do a Clean Install, it's all gone.

3. daaaaani macrumors newbie

Hm so my brother installed Leopard on my MacBook and i now don't have any space left on it so i guess he chose the "archive and install" option... do you think you could help me getting some space by erasing the tiger files i don't need anymore?
    Thank you!

4. adamswick macrumors newbie

Archive and Install

Select "Preserve Users and Network Settings" during your install and all of your Leopard-compatible applications should be migrated over (along with user and network settings). Unix applications, such as Apache and MySQL will not be migrated, but can be manually moved over afterwards from the archive.

The MacWorld Leopard Install Guide is a good reference for your Leopard install. Also, Apple has a good article on the various install options.

Try WhatSize and AppZapper if you are having problems freeing disk space prior to the install.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Delete the PreviousSystem folder you should see under your "Macintosh HD" drive (if an Archive & Install was done). Your applications stay in the Applications folder, so, for the most part, all of you apps should still be there. Deleting the old System folder (PreviousSystem) is safe.

6. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Do an "Archive and Install" and preserve the users and network settings, this will give you a clean system and it's fairly straight forward. Once the installation has completed, simply go through the Previous Systems folder and make sure all of your documents and other files have been moved over. Once you're sure everything has been moved over, you can go ahead and delete the Previous Systems folder.

7. daaaaani macrumors newbie

Hei! first of all thanks for your answers! My problem is now that i couldn't find any previous system folder! where should that folder be located? i made a search of all of my macintosh HD and it couldn't find anything with that name!

8. adamswick macrumors newbie

Does this apply?

Does the following from the MacWorld article referenced above apply?

"No Files Left Behind If you used the Archive and Install method, I recommend that you navigate to the /Previous Systems/Previous System 1 folder and browse through the subfolders inside to make sure all your files were moved properly. (If you’ve performed multiple Archive and Install installations, you may have Previous System 1 , Previous System 2 , and so on; you want to browse the newest one.) "

If not, it is possible that your install was not performed using this method. You might want to invest in an external USB or Firewire hard drive and prepare to move some of your data there using the tools I referenced above.

I assume your Mac is completely usable after the install, just short on disk space?

9. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

I remember installing Leopard then uninstalling it and then installing it again, uninstalling it took like lets say 3-5 hrs, because at that time, Leopard didn't run with my school network, so I was like damn man, but once you deleted Tiger, you can't get it back, but you can backup your files and put it on Leopard, but jhasuz, I didn't bother to install Leopard again, so I gave it to the school Technicians to do it for me, free upgrade, even though I already had the disc lol, anyway got Leopard for the same price as Tiger, came for free, since my school had made a special offer, but when I got my Mac back, I lost like 20-25 GB because of how much trash they put on when upgrading to Leopard :eek:...

10. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

It will be located at the very root of your boot drive where you had Tiger installed and subsequently installed Leopard. Should be in /Previous Systems/

11. daaaaani macrumors newbie

hmm ok so there doesn't seem to be any previous system folder on my mac but yesterday i spent my day looking for stuff i don't need and deleted it so now i have 7 GB free again, i think that should be ok...
    oh and yes my computer works perfectly, just that leopard used loads of disk space... but well...

thanks for your help anyways