Deleting Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tommy060289, Jun 27, 2011.

1. tommy060289 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I received my lovely new iMac today and I thrilled to bits with it.

What I have done is transfer my stuff over from my MBP and I now intend to format my MBP and start that again as I no longer need a lot of the stuff thats on there.

I also have a Western Digital My Book world NAS on my network that works with Time Machine on my MBP but I want to make it so my iMac becomes the device that back's up on the NAS (Im not bothered about backing up the MBP for now) so im wondering what the best way to go about this is. Ideally I'd like to start the system again so should I:

1. Turn off time machine on the MBP
    2. Format the HDD on the NAS (not really sure how to go about this though I havnt googled it yet but tips would be appreciated)
    3. Set up time Machine on the iMac

also, will the time machine settings have been ported over during set up since I restored the system from the time machine back up?

Cheers,

Tom

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Whatever order you do it in, don't reformat the MBP until you have started up TM on the iMac, otherwise, if you only have one copy of your data, even just for a few hours guess whats going to happen?

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's definitely better to be safe than sorry.

OP, you've got the right idea. Turn on TM on the iMac and let it make it's first large backup. Then delete the MBP's TM folder on the external. Done. No need to format.

4. tommy060289 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help guys. I just have two questions.

1. What's the easiest way to delete the time machine file? In finder my NAS shows up as two network drives, one called WD and one called WD_Backup. The WD one is a public storage bit and and the backup one is where the time machine is stored. If I click on backup up it says 'connection failed' and if inclick the button that says 'connect as' nothing happens even though I know the username and password that i should type to allow access, I don't even get the chance to enter this. Is there anywhere else I can do this?

2. My NAS is connected by ethernet to my Belmont router and when my iMac is connected by Ethernet it shows up fine in finder under network drives (this is both WD and WD_Backup) but if I switch to connect the iMac by wifi the Drives disappear. Any ideas why this is?