Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McPaul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Vancouver
Trash has emptied 7 items in the last 20 minutes, and has 692 items to go.

now, I know what you're thinking: "this guy sure has a lot of crap on his system" ... but I don't. I just did a complete erase and reinstall 2 weekends ago, and have not gone through nearly that many items. I'll leave it overnight but this just seems to be taking forever.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i had that happened to be before... i forgot why, try cancel (and it won't cancel completely) then you'll have to restart, then when you get back, it will be all normal (i think :S)

saikyan

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
Are you just emptying the trash or performing a "Secure Empty Trash" by mistake? That option behaves more like what you're describing.

eegore

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Are you just emptying the trash or performing a "Secure Empty Trash" by mistake? That option behaves more like what you're describing.

I know this is a reply to a relatively old thread, but I was having the same issue, and came across a somewhat obscure way to be emptying the trash securely by mistake.

In the finder preferences, advanced tab, there is a checkbox 'Empty Trash securely'.

If you have this checked, then no matter how you empty your trash, it will be secure (and massively slow as a result). If you only want to securely empty it occasionally, uncheck this, and then use the Finder menu 'secure empty trash' option.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
I know this is a reply to a relatively old thread, but I was having the same issue, and came across a somewhat obscure way to be emptying the trash securely by mistake.

In the finder preferences, advanced tab, there is a checkbox 'Empty Trash securely'.

If you have this checked, then no matter how you empty your trash, it will be secure (and massively slow as a result). If you only want to securely empty it occasionally, uncheck this, and then use the Finder menu 'secure empty trash' option.

eegore I love the idea that you're sifting through ancient, unanswered, questions. Righting the wrongs. Keep up the good work!

beowulf571

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
Fix worked; unchecked the finder pref checkbox!

I've been suffering from the slows since having bought this new imac two months ago. That simple fix works. I now don't have to wait overnight for my trash to be emptied! :)

silvercorn

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
Bingo!

This issue was doing my head in and your tip did the trick! Big thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.