Deleting User Accounts Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bazzy, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

If one just deletes the User Accounts, will that mean all the data pertaining to those accounts will be completely and totally deleted or will there still be some stuff left deep somewhere? Will any data still be recoverable by someone if the computer changes hands?

Thank You!

Bazzy!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

All data will be deleted depending on the method you used to empty the trash.
    Securely emptying the Trash will overwrite all the data with ones and zeros, so that only HDD recovery firms can recover anything, but recovering via software shouldn't be able anymore.

3. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Thanks for that! I deleted the User Accounts by normal "Empty Trash" - is that sufficient or should i now do something else?

Thanks,

Bazzy!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

By just emptying the Trash, the data is still there, just the pointers to that data are gone.

If you don't want to reinstall the system, which would give you the option of zeroing out the whole HDD, you can use Disk Utility and erase the free space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Wow, You have really helped me out as I am due to return mine tomorrow to Apple - I boxed & sealed everything up earlier! I just had a niggling doubt and my instincts led me to ask over here! I will do as you suggest - that way, I can at least have some peace of mind! My deep thanks to you sir!

Bazzy!