Deleting videos from iPhoto - or best practices for large iPhoto Libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abloodworth, Oct 17, 2011.

1. abloodworth macrumors newbie

I've been using iPhoto for several years now since I switched to a Mac from a PC. I really hate it as I can't control the files the way I can on a PC as everything is hidden in the iPhoto Library "package" file. And my iPhoto Library is so large now it's taking up over 3/4 of the space on my MacBook Pro so I must do something!

My inclination is to remove all the videos from my iPhoto Library so the library will just be photos. However, I'm worried about corrupting the library and losing some/all of my photos if I move them from the iPhoto Library "package" directly to a new "Finder" folder without using the iPhoto UI. And it would certainly be arduous to do that unless there's a good way to do it via the UI (which I can't find). Is there a way to move videos/photos out of iPhoto into an external folder? If not there should be!!! (Stupid iPhoto...)

Alternatively, perhaps I should have multiple iPhoto Libraries (e.g. one for each year). Is there a good way to set this up given that everything is in one big library now?

The big question I guess is, how can I separate out my iPhoto Library so that part of it is on an external drive and maybe only the latest photos are on my local drive?

Thanks!
    Allison

2. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I believe that you can create a smart folder which allows you to collect all of your videos in one folder. After collecting them, I think there is a "File->Export" command, which should export what is selected. If I recall correctly, you can specify the format on export.

Once you have them all exported and moved to where you want, just delete them out of iPhoto.

Stupid question - have you deleted the iPhoto trash? You may have a bunch of old stuff in there taking up space.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Select each in turn with the Command key held down, then drag them to Finder. Doesn't get much simpler really.