Deleting Virtualbox and other things...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArcTangent, Aug 3, 2012.

1. ArcTangent macrumors newbie

All right, I'm completely new to mac (bought mine 14 days ago) and I tried downloading IE because I need to do an online training for my job. My search was unsuccessful :(. I first went to this site to try it out:

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Internet-Explorer.shtml

I downloaded what it told me to do but IE does not seem to show up anywhere on my computer. How could I find it? It does not show up on the launchpad or the dock or anything. Did I download a virus or something? How do I delete what I downloaded (and how do I find it...?).

http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/04/internet-explorer-for-mac-ie7-ie8-ie-9-free/

I also tried this and there was a virtual box. I moved it to the trash but after reading a few other forums, I think it might still be there. They said it takes up a lot of space from your computer and I am hoping to remove VirtualBox completely from my computer.

I am a total newbie to mac and I was also wondering if anyone happened to know any sites to help me understand how to transition from PC to mac since I think I'm failing at taking care of my computer :(

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. tninety macrumors regular

With your level of expertise I would have gotten a Windows computer if you need IE for your job :rolleyes:

4. ArcTangent thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks GGJStudios. I appreciate the help :)

----------

I am a teacher for a school on an Indian reservation. I am new to the staff so I am required to complete online privacy training since technically I am a federal employee. The online training only runs on IE. It does not work for Chrome or Safari, which is why I tried DL'ing IE.

5. tninety macrumors regular

I might recommend using another computer then for the time being. Installing a new OS even through Bootcamp or VirtualBox might be daunting if you haven't done anything like it before.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In some cases you can still use a Mac.
    If you're on Safari, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced and check "Show Develop menu in menu bar".
    Then close Preferences and click Develop > User Agent > Internet Explorer 9.0.
    That works for some sites that require IE, but not always.

7. tninety macrumors regular

Changing his user agent string might work but maybe the feds will think he is an Apple spy and send the FBI after him :eek:

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I think your tinfoil hat is crooked! :D

9. ArcTangent thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll try that :)

----------

It worked!! Thank you so much! :D

10. MDFang macrumors member

"There are NO viruses in the wild that affect Mac OS X at this time."
    Ahahaha, good one. How naive.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Name one.

12. MDFang macrumors member

One we all know and love: Flashback.
    To be honest I can't come up with any specific names, but that doesn't mean viruses targeted towards machines running OS X aren't being made. Apple is on the rise, so it's inevitable that their OSes will start to become the target of all kinds of malicious software. I'd bet my bottom buck they're being made already (though widespread affection hasn't happened yet).

13. GGJstudios, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Flashback is a trojan, not a virus. Read the FAQ to learn the difference.
    There's no question that a virus could be made for Mac OS X, as no OS is immune (as stated in the FAQ), but no true Mac OS X virus has ever been released into the wild, where it could affect the average user.
    The marketshare theory has been debunked many times. There were viruses and many more instances of malware that affected Mac OS 9 and earlier, when Macs had a much smaller market share and installed base. Now that market share has increased, the number of viruses has decreased... to zero. The number of other instances of malware (trojans) has decreased significantly, as well.

You've been on this site for more than a year. It's surprising to me that you haven't read enough in the forum to have learned the facts by now, as there have been countless threads on this topic.