Deleting website Trackers

High Desert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
Powell Butte, Or.
I have a couple of trackers that I cannot seem to delete along with others during cleanup during and after internet sessions. I only have 8 gb ram and often these trackers suck up storage so I am often working to keep free ram at around 5 gb for smooth operation. Currently, I do cleanup under the "preferences" section of Safari. I have even gone back in and tuned the "developer" option on to clean up but these keep coming back; Here is an example:

harbor freight.com
databases

sprinterpartsdepot.com
databases

Open to option where, thx

High Desert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
Powell Butte, Or.
Are you visiting those web sites again when they come back?
No, I am not revisiting these sites. Last time I was on harbor freight was about a month ago and the sprinter parts was back in March of this year. It is odd, because the cleanup works on everything but these. Cant figure out where they are embedded at to remove.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Try this.... click the Desktop then hit shift-command-g (all the keys at once). Now paste the line below into the popup and hit return. You should be able to see all the local storage files from Safari in that folder.

If you delete those two in particular, and they come back without you visiting those sites, you may have some sort of adware or extension installed that is doing this. If that is the case, try running Malwarebytes to remove it.

Code:
~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage

High Desert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
Powell Butte, Or.
Try this.... click the Desktop then hit shift-command-g (all the keys at once). Now paste the line below into the popup and hit return. You should be able to see all the local storage files from Safari in that folder.

If you delete those two in particular, and they come back without you visiting those sites, you may have some sort of adware or extension installed that is doing this. If that is the case, try running Malwarebytes to remove it.

Code:
I'm saving this recommendation Weaselboy! When I ran the query, several folders showed up with the ones I was having issues with. There were also a few others that were not popping up, so I deleted them, went back and checked - poof, gone. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!! Thanks as I had no idea where to go after basic things did not work and I am not a long time mac user.

Elcompa

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
NC, USA

Code:
Weaselboy,

Wow! So amazing. I did not know this. VERY, very HELPFUL!!!!

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015

Code:

Weaselboy, thank you!!!

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
What I do to completely "clean out" Safari at least once each day:

First: Quit Safari. Then...

1. Open "home/library/Safari"
2. Hit "command-A" to select ALL items inside
3. Hold down the command key and then hit "extensions" (folder) and "Bookmarks.plist" to DESELECT those two items.
4. Hit "command-backspace" to delete EVERYTHING ELSE inside the Safari folder

5. Open "home/library/Caches/com.apple.Safari"
6. Delete the folder "WebKitCache"

7. Empty the trash.

Now I restart Safari, and it's all-but "completely cleaned out".
The exception is that bookmarks are retained, extensions are retained, and cookies are retained (I use Safari cookies to delete ALL unwanted cookies each time Safari quits).

This kind of mimics the old "reset Safari" menu command that was there up through OS 10.8, which I found to be very useful to keep Safari "running clean"...

NOTE:
I use the old (little) app called "Classic Menu" (which still works right up into High Sierra) to set up the folders I need to access "right under the Apple menu".
Just reach up, open them, hit a few keys to accomplish what I outlined above.

For handling website trackers, I use "Ghostery". Works fine for me.