Deleting Windows Partition with Disk Utility

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nopstnz8, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Nopstnz8 macrumors member

Nopstnz8

Hey guys I am planning to upgrade my Windows 7 32 bit bootcamp partition to Windows 7 64 bit. I know I have to do a clean install to do this, so I am planning to wipe my Windows partition and start from scratch. I am trying to figure out how to remove my bootcamp partition though. If I use the bootcamp assistant, it seems like it will only give me 231gb of space back for Mac OSX. I have a 250gb HD, so where is the extra space going since my Windows partition is 42gb? Can I just delete it with Disk Utility to recover the space back? Could I possibly screw this up by using Disk Utility? Any help would be greatly appreciated ASAP. Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IMHO it's easier to leave it be unless you need to resize the partition. Go ahead and reformat the partition (erase in Disk Utility or use the options in the Windows 7 64bit installer), and just go ahead with the install.

B

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

To redo your Bootcamp Partition, the best thing to do is to delete it with Bootcamp Assistant and create a new one IMO. Other methods seem to have mixed results.

Check out the Guide here at MR: Hard Drive Size Discrepancy

It probably holds the answer to your 250 GB HDD only having 231 GB available

4. Nopstnz8 thread starter macrumors member

Nopstnz8

Thanks. That makes sense, and I was kinda assuming it had something to do with this since most hd's actually have a little less usable space compared to the capacity of the drive. I just find it funny how both programs give different info about the same thing, while they are both software of Apple. Lol.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Apple should have stuck with the binary definitions (smaller numbers) throughout the OS and not introduced the HDD manufacturers definition in some places. Now, as you have seen, you can get different answers from different places.

B

6. Nopstnz8 thread starter macrumors member

Nopstnz8

Yeah I agree. They should have stuck with those numbers to make the entire process less confusing. I went ahead an used Boot Camp utility to delete the partition and had no problem whatsoever. Then I installed Win 7 x64 on the new partition and everything worked out fine. Thanks again.