Deleting Windows partition with Parallels & Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bsheridan, Apr 27, 2009.

1. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

I have on my hard drive a Leopard partition and a Windows 7 partition. I am looking to delete the Windows partition and then have the full hard drive as one Leopard partition, hopefully without any reformatting.

Firstly when I installed the Windows partition I did so through bootcamp. I also have parallels 4.0 and so I was able to set up a virtual machine (VM) of this bootcamp partition.

I want to now completely get rid of windows on my machine though I am not sure of the best way to do so. I guess working backwards is best: delete the parallels VM then delete the bootcamp partition?
    Is this the best way to do it?
    Will the deleted space on my hard drive be converted to space on my Leopard partition?

(I wish to get rid of windows because I am having problems with my mac sleeping. I just want to see if windows is the culprit. Hopefully it is as I have tried everything else including an SMC reset, short of reformatting and installing.)
    I have backups of everything btw.

thanks for any help, b.

2. alan1l macrumors newbie

To answer part of your question, I deleted my Windows partition with Bootcamp assistant and it just merged the space back into Leopard.

I don't have Parallels, but like you said working backwards would probably be the best way to do it. Hope that helps.

3. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

To be honest I don't think that deleting the Windows Boot Camp partition will make a difference. I went through a lot of things to make my Mac go back to sleep properly on its own. I have had to delete some PreferencePanes such as GlimmerBlocker, Growl, Perian, FinderPop and Logitech Control Center. I can't say for sure whih of these things helped my Mac but I've also been through resetting all types of things. Things constantly running in the background reading and writing data will prevent the Mac from going to sleep.

But of course having Windows running in a virtual machine might have something to do with the sleep issue. I can't say for sure though.