Deleting XP partition, re-entering windows key?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bingo wings, Jan 13, 2010.

1. bingo wings macrumors newbie

Ok i asked a similar question before, but the popular advice seems to be to delete the windows partition then start over if you want to reinstall windows on a mac. BUT im pretty sure windows does not allow the same copy to be authenticated twice, below is copy and pasted from the windows site:

How do I activate Windows?
    ■Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows. The activation wizard will walk you through the steps required to activate Windows.
    ■For additional instructions, or if you have problems activating Windows, please see knowledge base article # 307890.
    What if I am unable to activate Windows?
    If you are unable to activate Windows by following the steps above or using the methods in the knowledge base article, the copy of Windows on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been installed incorrectly.

What could prevent activation?
    ■If your computer is new, the copy of Windows installed on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been incorrectly installed.
    ■If Windows was installed or upgraded on an existing computer:
    ◦The copy of Windows you installed on your computer may be counterfeit.
    ◦A third party, such as a repair shop, may have installed Windows incorrectly or used a counterfeit copy.

Anybody experienced this problem?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can reinstall Windows on the same computer a zillion times and there will be no issues.

3. bingo wings thread starter macrumors newbie

as it says in the red above, to go to system tools and click activate windows, there is no such option on my computer.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

On the same computer? You can do it multiple time w/o any problems. I've reinstalled windows a number of times (on the same computer) and not once did I run into any issues with activation.

If in even in the remote possibility you do run into issues, just call the supplied number and it will be activated w/o any further hassle.

When it needs to be activated it will tell you