Deletion behaviour in Photos and iCloud Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by daniel.ord, Apr 23, 2015.

1. daniel.ord macrumors member

This is probably simple, but I can't wrap my head around it. I upgraded to iCloud Photo Library because the reviews were pretty ok. Now I can't figure out album behaviour.

Say I create an album by selecting photos in the "All Photos" section, and then delete a photo in that album. Does that only delete the photo in the album, not from my main iCloud storage?

In other words, if I don't want my iCloud storage to fill up, I have to go through photos in the "All Photos" section before making the album - the two aren't linked?

This is going to take a lot more discipline to not fill up the storage, isn't it? (Before Photo Stream would offload to my Mac once a month).

2. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Deleting a photo from an album will only have the effect of removing the photo from that album. The photo itself will still exist.

If you Cmd-Delete a photo in an album, this will remove the photo from the album and delete the photo.

A truly deleted photo hangs around for 30 days or so in a Deleted Photos section, so you can recover them if need be. You can also go to the Deleted Photos section and remove those from there immediately and permanently.

3. daniel.ord thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! The cmd-delete trick is just what I was looking for! Maybe there is hope yet for iCloud Photo Library and me :)