Delicious Library 3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SingularityG, Apr 28, 2013.

1. SingularityG macrumors 6502

SingularityG

Delicious Library 3 makes me confused. I understand that it is an App that allows you to input barcodes so you can catalogue things that you own.

Usually, Apps like this are free, because the publishers get paid by selling whatever data they can harvest. Delicious Library 3 would make a perfect candidate for that. It even allows you to scan barcodes and thus catalogue purchases of physical products bought in non-electronic stores.

Most of us are aware that free Apps are not entirely free Apps and I've been noticing that some people started to simply avoid these altogether.

Delicious Library 3 costs 25 bucks. Does it have this kind of price just so it can trap people into thinking their privacy is safe?

Or am I getting too paranoid here.:D

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

My two cents-
    Delicious Library doesn't really do anything with the data except do a lookup on amazon, making importing data very fast. I think you may be a bit paranoid. Delicious does nothing with this data-if you want to be worried about someone, then it would be amazon-but even then the scanning part would be no different if you typed in the barcode into an amazon search to start.

Now if you use the sell on amazon function part, that could raise issues about privacy.

3. SingularityG thread starter macrumors 6502

SingularityG

I see. I must confess that I am not entirely familiar with Delicious Library 3, but honestly, the vision of scam was my very first impression of the App.:)

In 2009, Amazon forced devs to pull Delicious Library out of the App Store and as I understand it, it has not been there since. Seems like the App is all about Amazon function part. Strangely enough, Amazon does not give a damn.

4. cuestakid macrumors 68000

you are 100% correct about the app being pulled. It is truly stupid and unfortunate, but as you said, its about Amazon and their own issues (which they have never admitted or explained)