Deliveries ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by Che Castro, May 19, 2015.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

The app "deliveries" there are a few reviews in the AppStore that mentioned the app only updates when is running in the background on the iPhone , if you remove the app from the background you won't get push notifications , is this true ?

Another ? , is there a better alternative app for tracking packages & syncs with Mac/iPhone/iPad and has Apple watch support
    Because deliveries you have to pay $4.99 for the iPhone app , then another $4.99 for the Mac app

An alternative app "parcel" you pay subscription $1.99 a year , but I don't want a subscription

Is deliveries the best ? And does it send notifications when is not running in the background on the iPhone

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

3. Yptcn, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015

Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Parcel app really works ! As far as I know it's free for 3 deliveries .

EDIT : I just looked it up , push notifications are for the subscription version .The one I have and worth every penny ;-)

I'd rather pay $1,99 and have notifications than $10 and have none...

I've had Deliveries which used to be a great app a long time ago . I don't want to run the app 24/7 in the background ...so no notifications ! Each time they have an update I try it out again but no change .
    Save you money !

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

If it's not a rush for you, add Deliveries or whichever other apps (iOS and Mac) to AppShopper.com and wait for a price drop. I've been using AfterShip, but it has no WATCH app yet, so I'm patiently waiting.

5. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Any app which you kill from the task switcher will no longer get *any* CPU time to do tasks in the background or any push notifications (either created from the app or sent from a server).

If you do do it, make sure to open up the app again, it regains those abilities. This is for all iOS apps, not just Deliveries.

6. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

huh?

i get push notifications from every other app and there not running in the background

parcel sends push notifications, even after removing app from background

not sure what you mean

7. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I don't mean running in the background. I mean you have purposefully killed the app using the task switcher and don't re-open it. You get no notifications then. This only applies to 3rd party apps of course.

8. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Same for me ! Even after killing the app in task switcher .

9. Tmdlkwd macrumors member

Anyone tried the App Slice (free ) ?

Has AW support too

Thanks

10. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

I don't have any apps in task switcher and I get notifications for them

11. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

I have the same one (parcel). Works great. I was tracking my apple iphone dock, and it works with notifications great.

12. easheer macrumors regular

easheer

This is not correct. You can most certainly get notifications from apps that you've killed from the switcher and don't re-open, 3rd party or not.

13. Javabird macrumors 6502

Another vote for Parcel. I have the free version but I might upgrade to get notifications on my watch.

14. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

I upgraded mine. Its only 1.99 for 1 year subscription. Also, it does not automatically renew so thats always good.

15. TreoRenegade macrumors regular

I've had the pleasure of using both Deliveries and Parcel (premium). (Deliveries will send a notification, telling you to open the app if it's not in background.) Both are great apps, but the one factor that pushed me to Deliveries >> you can configure it, globally, to toss the shipped item to your calendar, with the date reflecting date of receipt. Comes in handy when I want to return something -- that's quite rare for me, but super helpful when I do need that info.

Note: I learned my lesson. When the whole Palm thing went belly-up, and the makers of DayNotez and other seemingly premier apps failed to transition to iPhone or Droid, I was in a world of hurt, going thru the tedium necessary to retrieve info buried within Palm OS apps. I vowed "never again!" Since then, I try wherever possible to have info mirrored either in plain txt, or tossed to the calendar. So, I do the same with my runs, etc. (WalkMeter handles the auto-toss to my "Health-Fitness" cal; DayPath = my manual push; etc). Bottom-line = if the info is important to me, it's mirrored in one of my iCloud or Google cals (the latter exists due to IFTTT automated goodness), or a DropBox plain txt file (another IFTTT-generated safeguard).

16. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

You do realize you consent to the Slice company to poll all your email (and consequently give access to your entire cloud account) so they can smartly grab data of your purchases and their shipment tracking for those live updates. Not sure what else they're grabbing while they're in there.

That's a lot of intrusion of privacy for that convenience, considering they were the ones who were quoted in many blogs and news sites that they've aggregated around 90,000 emails to hypothesize there were over a million pre-orders of the WATCH that weekend.

17. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Just let it run in the background, it won't make much (If any difference) in battery, iOS handles background processes very well.

And you mention 'closing' all apps from your recently used apps screen, but this actually has a negative impact on battery life.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2h0hqq/psa_dont_force_close_your_apps/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...als-8-ways-to-extend-your-iPhone-battery.html

http://lifehacker.com/quitting-apps-in-ios-actually-worsens-battery-life-1560086834

18. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I'm torn between the two. Trying the free version of Parcels now, but I'm intrigued by Deliveries.

I need to pick one soon, I do a lot of amazon ordering, so I have tracking numbers for days.

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I bought Deliveries while waiting for my Apple Watch. I'm now using it regularly for all the crap I order from Amazon, Ebay, and AliExpress. I get regular notifications from it on my watch, iPhone, and iPad. Love it!

20. elemenohme macrumors regular

I've been using Deliveries since it first came out (I use the widget on the Mac) and it's great on the iPhone and Watch too. Can't beat getting a notification on your wrist that a package has been delivered!

I've never had any issues with it being open or not, but I don't spend any time in the task switcher killing apps. I let iOS do that for me.

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed ! Deliveries does everything needed, the dashboard widget for the Mac, iPhone and Watch app. Notifications and calendar coordination.

IMHO, I have never unstood how people can spend literally hundreds of $$ on devices (iPhones, iPads, Watch, Macs) and then grouse over $5 or $10 to use an app for their lifetime (in most cases) :rolleyes:

22. Tmdlkwd macrumors member

Ok

I'm trying the free parcels app now. Tried it w 4 different Amazon deliveries

I noticed that I get Amazon text del updates quicker than parcels?

In fact, no updates at all for parcels today. Checking on Amazon, I had 2 diff scans today

Is this normal?
    Will adding the paid $1.99 paid version make a diff? Doubt it.

23. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I like Deliveries. I did try the free version of Parcels but found it too limited for the UK

24. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I like Deliveries. I did try the free version of Parcels but found it too limited for the UK