Delivery Time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrancoRumors, Mar 7, 2011.

1. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

If we all order at 12:01 PST is there any chance some will be delivered on saturday? Will next day shipping be available for a charge? Any guesses?

2. Saberj macrumors regular

I thought Apple almost always shipped from China. Has that changed?

3. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple does not offer Saturday deliveries normally. Shipping companies separate next day and sat delivery options and charge a lot more for sat delivery. Apple Offers "expedited" shipping at a flat rate, so basically there the only way it will be delivered on sat is if Apple is nice enough to pay for it themselves to get iPads out there.

Doubtful though considering there are no preorders, which would allow Apple to work out custom shipping with a carrier to deliver it on saturday without too much extra cost for Apple. As it stands for most locations in the US the overnight sat delivery would cost Apple an arm and a leg.

So yeah, Monday at the earliest.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If it ships FedEx Ground Home, then absolutely since Sat. is a regular shipping day for the home delivery service. If it ships UPS ground then Apple would have to arrange for Sat delivery, again possible but unknown at this point. Same would go if you pick express delivery (assuming it ships from the U.S.) since Sat is not a regular delivery day. If it ships direct from China as new products often do then you are looking at mid-week delivery.

5. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes but Home Delivery is not overnight, so if they did that then only people really close to where it ships from would get it on sat.

Also I don't think Apple normally uses FedEx Home Delivery anyway.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Depends. If the iPad ships from the same zone you live in it will be overnight. For example I live in the DC area. Apple uses the Ingram warehouse in S. PA. Whenever I order in-stock Apple products it ships from there 99% of the time and I rec'd it the next day via FedEx Ground. And yes, that is the default carrier Apple uses. Of course Apple has warehouses all over the country so it is possible to use the free ground delivery and get it next day.

7. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

Ordering iPad 2 on Friday

OK,

So I've never ordered hardware on the day of launch before. If i manage to order the iPad 2 on Friday morning, whats the likely hood that Apple will deliver it Saturday?

Mark.

8. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Not very likely. I would assume it would arrive on Monday.

9. Middiebear macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Not even if you choose next day delivery and spend the extra $20?

10. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

This is a brand new product so there's a good chance that All US stock is going to stores and these orders will ship from China, through Anchorage, AK the customs hub, and then to everywhere else in the country. Usually a 2-3 business day affair depending, but I know when I ordered my custom built MBP I had it in 4 days from order to box open.

11. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

I suspect in addition to creating lines this delayed online ordering is due to low stock of the new iPad 2. What they likely did is ship 100% of the iPad 2's that have been made to Apple stores and then have a "round 2" of iPad's ready to ship from China by Friday which will go out to initial online orders. If they do in fact come from China that is often a 4-7 day process even if they ship on the 11th right after ordering.

12. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Nope. Order it online and you will get it next week most likely. Remember when you order it Friday morning it is already 4pm local time in China.

13. 0815 macrumors 68000

My iPad1 was delivered on a Saturday (well, they attempted to deliver at 8am SA) ... bad part about it was that I had it shipped to the office and I was of course at home still in bed, by the time I got up and checked the delivery status I saw that they already had tried to deliver (otherwise I would have gone to the office to wait).

Now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to stay in line, but would like to have it over the weekend. If I ship it to my home address I might get screwed and they deliver MO - if i ship to the office same game as with iPad1 might happen :-(

Does anyone know if they offer the option to order online for in store pickup? I would than order and pick up on Saturday in the hope to avoid lines.

14. funkeruski macrumors regular

I think it depends on whether Apple actually boxes it up and gets it out Friday. On my ipad, it left China on Friday, and it was delivered to South Texas the following Monday. Very impressive.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, go back to my first post. You picked off my 2nd. I'm just giving all possibilities. But given that there are no preorders. It's quite possible that Apple is using the week to fill U.S. warehouses. FWIW my iPhone 4 shipped from TX even as others were shipping from China. So everyone can only guess based on past history, but Apple does throw curve balls from time to time.

16. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

No, they don't offer any ship to store/store pickup.

Also, you can pre-sign for the package if you want FedEx to leave it. Depends on your comfort level with that.

17. baummer macrumors 6502a

Their online sales and retail sales channels rarely interact with each other, so unfortunately this isn't an option.

Short of waiting in line, I don't see a way you will be able to interact with your own iPad 2 this weekend (unless Apple does overnight shipping, but for reasons referenced by earlier posters, I don't see that as being a likely outcome).

18. 0815 macrumors 68000

Yap, was afraid this is the answer. Guess I will have it shipped then to the office and not play with it over the weekend ...

I could take my chances and try to get once at Sam's Club or any other less busy place, but they might only get a very limited number and maybe not the model I want and I'm afraid they sell out online when I wait with the order until friday night and than I would have to wait several weeks .... guess not having it over the weekend, but for sure early next week is a nice compromise.

19. 0815 macrumors 68000

I would be comfortable with it - but I already had it for other items (not from Apple) that I wasn't 'allowed' to pre-sign. When I asked if I than at least can go next day to the UPS Facility to pick it up, they told me no, it is never taken off the truck until all three attempts are made - so I had to wait three more days to pick it up.

20. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

What if Apple already had millions of iPads at shipping HQs around the country? Then shipping could be real fast.

21. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Which is probably why it will be shipped from the US (unless ordered engraved) instead of China. I don't believe they would open up online ordering on a friday only to have them pile up for FedEx over the weekend.

22. bigrobb macrumors 6502a

I have never ordered anything on launch day what time do they start taking orders is it usually midnight California time?

23. Apple Expert, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Yes that's very possible as next day delivery is usually cut off at 5:00 pm the day it's being shipped. By 5:00 pm I'm sure they would of already been sold out.

24. gnirwin macrumors newbie

I ordered an Ipad 1 last Thursday evening. I live in eastern Ohio and it shipped out of the southern PA warehouse. I am scheduled for delivery tomorrow (Tuesday). 2 1/2 business days later.