Delivery times for 3TB Time Capusle

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by boombox15, Jul 4, 2013.

1. boombox15 macrumors regular

I ordered a 2TB Time Capsule on July 2nd. I really wanted to go with 3TB but at the time, the 2TB verison shipped sooner. Now they are all shipping in 3-5 days, so I want to know if it is really taking that long for people to get them. But, my first backup will be about 125GB, so how much space will be left for backups after that? I just want to make sure I made the right choice by going with 2TB. Seems like a lot of space but just want to be sure.

Thanks.

2. darster Suspended

I ordered mine a week and a half ago. Was scheduled to be delivered on Monday July 1st. Was delivered on Friday June 28th. 2TB will be plenty. My backup was around 100 GB. Have around 1.9 TB left. Make sure you first backup is via ethernet, otherwise it will take a long time to back up. My first backup via ethernet took ~ 2 hours.

3. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

I ordered mine on 30th June and was given a delivery date of 11th July but it arrived on the 2nd July so I think they give long delivery times now but generally get delivered much sooner.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Adter the initial backup, the incremental backups can be quite small if you have not changed much on your system. On my iMac if the system was generally idle between backups, it uses about 2GB for an incremental. So it all depends on how much your files change and how full you intend your drive to get.

Basically if you have a 1TB drive or smaller in your Mac a 2TB drive for Time Machine will be more than enough for most people. The only time you would need more is if you had a lot of file churn or if you wanted to guarantee years of weekly backups being saved.