DELL 2005fpw Impressions

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
5,889
0
Chicago, IL
ziwi said:
I have not seen any issues with that - an I have had it for about a month and it looks great. The extra benefit of the reclaimed desk space is worth at least a portion of that price imho. I can't wait until the next sale ;) can't seem to pry it away from my wife ;) now - what to do with all of those CRT's - good quality one's but what to do????

I just returned mine this week. The screen is (Scratch that) WAS fantastic until you start playing dark games/movies or have some black screensaver. My 2005FPW had a backlight bleed problem in the lower left about the size of my fist and the upper right about the size of a small cellphone. Again it was only with black screens and the lights turned low where the "issue" is viewable. I'm REALLY picky about my display and had it replaced by Dull twice. The first had 6 bad pixels. The second....well...never got the second before 21st day deadline for returning the thing came up. I wasn't willing to gamble that much money on a screen. I've done a lot of research on the 2005FPW and honestly. You aren't going to get a screen without some moderate backlight bleed...period. From what I've read the actual display type is different from those used in the 2405 model hence the reason the 2405 has little to no backlight bleed.
My biggest complaint about Dull is their customer support. In my life I have NEVER...EVER had support as completely and totally horrid as theirs. The magic spell I learned (too late to be useful as it turns out...21day return thing again.) was to used support via e-mail and instant chat. Under no circumstances call Dell. Both times I called them I got some Indian that was only slightly more comprehensible then white noise. The first call I did took 2 hours to get them to ship me a new monitor. The second call I did I simply hung up on them. I'm sorry but trying to get a mailing address from someone who has a accent that is thicker then pea soup was causing me to want to gnaw off my arm in frustration.
Again if you need to do returns send it to: US_CTS_Desktop_Support@dell.com

or simply using Dell's web based chat utility (That prob doesn't work on Macs :rolleyes: )

Again for the price the monitor was fantastic. I think I'm just overly sensitive to that backlight bleed thing and it doesn't help that I'm a big fan of space based games (Read: Lot of black on screen.)
All I know is I'm going to wait for the next deal from Dell and get a 2405FPW instead. I've heard almost no complaints about that screen. The thing is I'm not willing to spend more then 900 on a monitor so I'm going to have to wait for one of Dell's uber deals to creep up.
 

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
6,044
118
Canada, eh?
Well, to each his own, of course, but my 2005 has no dead pixels and as far as I can see there is no backlight bleeding, it looks very even. Maybe I'm not as picky or my eyes aren't tuned to look for it, but even in pitch black, beside my 12" Powerbook LCD, they both look pretty much the same. Well, in pitch black the screen looks kind of very very pale greenish.
 

virtuapimp

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2005
46
0
Shropshire, UK
Wait wait. This monitor is just a good as the apple display plus it allows me to connect my games consoles to it AND is cheaper? The only problem is that its as
ugly as sin. Well I'm sold.
 

Etrain

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
292
0
Land of Cleve
It's really not that ugly at all when in real life. The pictures don't do it justice. In person it is actualy pretty nice looking I think.
 

imolared

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2005
6
0
Etrain said:
It's really not that ugly at all when in real life. The pictures don't do it justice. In person it is actualy pretty nice looking I think.
I agree. I got my 2005FP last week and I'm very happy with it. Currently hooked up to my Dell server as it's where I have my HDTV video capture card which compliments the Wide screen nature of the 2005FP.






-Imolared
 

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
439
0
Toronto
Wow: nice to see this thread is still going.

Anyone know for sure yet whether display rotation is supported in Tiger? I remember seeing some screen early info leading towards this but didn't see it mentioned on the Tiger site. On that note, who here would actually see themselves making use of this feature?
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,893
31
Northern Virginia
supergod said:
Anyone know for sure yet whether display rotation is supported in Tiger? I remember seeing some screen early info leading towards this but didn't see it mentioned on the Tiger site. On that note, who here would actually see themselves making use of this feature?
I know I sure would like to. It would make websurfing a little easier, and page layout too.
 

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
1,641
0
Boston, Massachusetts
Hi Guys,

I have this Wonderful Screen Too, was wanting the Apple Display for a while but just couldn't find my self spending almost a grand on a display. My question (s) are as followed.

I have this screen currently connected to my HD Cable Box, and my Dell Desktop. - My 12" PowerBook is Coming tomorrow :)

I have a question about the USB hub built into the Monitor. - I haven't really used it much up till now because I really had no need too. But here's my question.

I have a Logitech Wireless Keyboard and mouse and the reciever is a little USB dongle which is currently connected through a USB Port on the PC. I was wondering if I hooked up the Reciever to a Port on the Monitor if it would be recognized by my PowerBook when I switch the Screen over to that input.

My desk is too filled up with my 88 keystation pro, and don't have room for the bluetooth kybd and mouse.

If anyone has any input about this at all, it would be greatly appreciated.
 

Etrain

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
292
0
Land of Cleve
Just a little update: I have received a new stand to replace the defective one. Now I could not be happier.

Just a little FYI - the monitor does not include a "service tag" which is needed to chat online with a tech. This causes allot of run around with trying to get tech help but the monitor itself is great.
 

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
435
0
Austria
I've heard such good reports about these dell monitors (made by LG I believe) that I ordered one a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting though, every day I look at dells order tracking page the estimated deliver date moves back a day :(

ACD's do look nice, but they lack height adjustment and are excessively priced.


berkleeboy210 said:
I have a Logitech Wireless Keyboard and mouse and the reciever is a little USB dongle which is currently connected through a USB Port on the PC. I was wondering if I hooked up the Reciever to a Port on the Monitor if it would be recognized by my PowerBook when I switch the Screen over to that input.
Sorry, but that wont work. What you probably need is KVM switch. Newer ones have USB support.
 

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
376
7
Nara, Japan
berkleeboy210 said:
Hi Guys,

I have this Wonderful Screen Too, was wanting the Apple Display for a while but just couldn't find my self spending almost a grand on a display. My question (s) are as followed.

I have this screen currently connected to my HD Cable Box, and my Dell Desktop. - My 12" PowerBook is Coming tomorrow :)

I have a question about the USB hub built into the Monitor. - I haven't really used it much up till now because I really had no need too. But here's my question.

I have a Logitech Wireless Keyboard and mouse and the reciever is a little USB dongle which is currently connected through a USB Port on the PC. I was wondering if I hooked up the Reciever to a Port on the Monitor if it would be recognized by my PowerBook when I switch the Screen over to that input.

My desk is too filled up with my 88 keystation pro, and don't have room for the bluetooth kybd and mouse.

If anyone has any input about this at all, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a mini and a PowerBook hooked up to this screen. My Mini has a wireless usb receiver for my mouse it works on the monitor because the minis usb is hooked into the monitors usb hub. However, the PowerBooks usb is not, what I'm saying is, you have got to hook up the machine to the
usb hub on the monitor first. Trouble is I do not think you can hook up two machines at the same time to the monitors usb hub. I use a matias tactile pro keyboard for my PowerBook and a Apple mouse the keyboard is directly into the Book. For the Mini I use a bluetooth wireless keyboard and the Microsoft wireless mouse. In short, there is only one USB input on the Dell screen as far as I know. The screen can be used on two machines because it has VGA and DVI inputs and you can switch that back and forth. I do not know how you can work around the one USB input on the monitor though. Perhaps you could use a USB hub in between the machines and monitor, but it probably would not work? Sorry, not much help. Good Luck.

Brian
 

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
1,803
5
UK
Ive not seen the Dell 2005FPW 20" listed on the Dell UK website. Is it not available in the UK?
 

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
4,066
1,186
St. Louis, MO
MacSA said:
yeah, it seems that the right side of the pond got the shaft on this one. I just ordered two of the 2005fpw, and with a coupon, got them for $487 US each. That's about £255, versus the £389 you have listed.

...and that's not even the widescreen 20in...as edesign shows, the widescreen is a lot more expensive.
 

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
1,803
5
UK
tobefirst said:
yeah, it seems that the right side of the pond got the shaft on this one. I just ordered two of the 2005fpw, and with a coupon, got them for $487 US each. That's about £255, versus the £389 you have listed.

...and that's not even the widescreen 20in...as edesign shows, the widescreen is a lot more expensive.
No, the 2005fpw is £554 on the Dell website here..... thats $1057 at the current exchange rate :( http://www.reuters.co.uk/currencies.jhtml

The £389 is for a regular 20" display.
 

Sox

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
187
0
So, should I not be ordering an Apple 20"? No S-video in connection, too expensive, etc? Is there any reason to even consider the Apple over these Dells besides form factor?
 

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
4,066
1,186
St. Louis, MO
personally i don't think so. as i mentioned above, i just got two of the dell monitors for nearly the same i would have paid for an apple monitor. they might not look as sweet as the apple displays do, but i think it's a general concensous that the apple displays are over-priced...for most people that is.
 

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
6,044
118
Canada, eh?
Nope. Form factor and/or you're a devoted Apple loyalist who will buy Apple stuff at any cost.

I love Apple and I would have had a Cinema Display on my desk but not at twice the price of the 100% equivalent alternative.

Reports here and at Macintouch suggest that Dell's quality control may not be at 100%... some people, as you've seen, get duds, others (like me :D) get perfect units. If you get a dud, though, Dell's customer service seems pretty good about getting you a replacement.
 

hpeezy

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2004
28
0
vancouver, bc
ya, i just received my 2005FPW about half an hour ago after purchasing new from someone here at macrumors.

and i LOVE IT! BUT.... there's a dead pixel that's not close enough to the edge of the screen to be easily "ignored."

i'm tempted to contact dell for a replacement.. but doesn't that mean parting with this one and waiting some more??? (it took FOREVER for this one to get to me with crossing the border, sitting in customs, etc.)



notjustjay said:
Nope. Form factor and/or you're a devoted Apple loyalist who will buy Apple stuff at any cost.

I love Apple and I would have had a Cinema Display on my desk but not at twice the price of the 100% equivalent alternative.

Reports here and at Macintouch suggest that Dell's quality control may not be at 100%... some people, as you've seen, get duds, others (like me :D) get perfect units. If you get a dud, though, Dell's customer service seems pretty good about getting you a replacement.
 

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
338
0
Philadelphia
Dells monitor exchange works like this:

-They mail you a new one and then you ship the old one back in the box they send you. Therefore you will not be without it at all.
 

hpeezy

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2004
28
0
vancouver, bc
ya, i just read something like that on their website.. that would be GREAT! i just hope i don't run into complications from two things:
1) i'm not the original owner
2) it was bought in the US, and it's now with me in Canada. (it would be MUCH simpler if i'm able to deal with dell canada)

denm316 said:
Dells monitor exchange works like this:

-They mail you a new one and then you ship the old one back in the box they send you. Therefore you will not be without it at all.