DELL 2007WFP 30" with a mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by J273, Nov 4, 2010.

1. J273 macrumors regular

Does anyone use the above monitor with a mac?

Ive just got my new air which ive connected up to the DELL,It works fine but the teaxt is not sharp at all and blury.

Does anyone have any setup advice on how to get the best pic possible?

Many thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What Mac and what specific adapter? What is the maximum resolution of that monitor?

5. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

Its the 11" top spec air with the latest Dual link adpater...reolution is 2560 x 1600 which is native i have it set to.

6. eduk macrumors newbie

Not sure if it helps, however I use a Dell 3007 with my 27" iMac through an Apple DP to Dual link DVI adapter, and get a perfect image from it at native resolution.

I get a problem once every few months when the picture goes very fuzzy (practically unusable), however disabling and then re-enabling that monitor sorts it.

Does the OS report it displaying at 2560x1600?

7. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes its showing 2560 x 1600 ...its not fuzzy its just the text does'nt seem very sharp and a little blurry.

You have a 27" and a 2007wfp....I plan on going for a 27" I7 in the next month or so....do you have a pic of your imac alongside the 30" dell panel ?......Id be interested in seeing the difference in size if you could post a pic that would be great as its the exact setup im going for.

Many thanks

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I've heard this issue before with the Dell 3007WFP (30" Dell screens start with 30, not 20!). What people did to solve this problem is to change the text rendering of OS X. I can't, however, exactly remember how, as I can't find the option in the system preferences.

9. eduk macrumors newbie

It's actually a remarkably similar match in terms of physical size (they are practically the same dimensions in terms of height), although the screen area is obviously offset.

I'll gladly take a picture when I'm back home at the weekend...

10. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

Great many thanks

11. eduk macrumors newbie

As requested, Dell 3007WFP next to 27" iMac....

[​IMG]

(I know - I need to calibrate my monitors - it's on my to-do list!)

12. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for this...Looks great :)

13. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I believe this is what you're thinking of:

Mac OS X Hints: 10.6: Re-enable LCD font smoothing for some monitors

14. Washac, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

That all looks rather good.

How is the Dell monitor, thinking of going this route myself as had nothing but troubles with Apple screens.

15. eduk macrumors newbie

I'm a fan of them - I bought 2 to use as a pair about 4 years ago, however moved one of my 30's from home to my apartment when I got my iMac (I'm now thinking of getting another iMac to go with it - no idea what I'm going to do if I ever move them into one location!). Fantastic screen area and resolution to play with (I don't understand when people talk about monitors being 'too big'!), and no problems with them at all.

The only limitation with the ones I've got is that they only take a single input (dual link DVI-I) so not easy to share between machines, however I believe the newer versions have multiple inputs, not that you'd obviously manage to drive the full resolution via all connections.

Other than that, a pair of them can get rather warm when using them all day in the summer!!

16. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

I run dual 3007's myself with my PC,its just a shame i cant run both from my mbp:D which is one of the reasons i was looking at the 27" imac as im so used to using them both.

Awesome screens love mine.

17. Tali macrumors member

I use a 3008 WFP with my Mac Pro. I keep a Dual Link DVI adapter plugged in on DVI 2 to use it with my MBP sometimes. The adapters aren't really top notch and sometimes I need to switch the monitor on and off or 'reboot' the adapter.

So it could be the adapter that's messing with your results. Do you use the same adapter on the air and on the iMac? Try completely unplugging it and let it rest for 5 minutes.
    Make sure that you use an external USB power source with the adapter (the power coming out of the MBA or MBP isn't really stabile so make sure you do use either a charger for an iPhone or iPod or a powered USB hub).