Dell 2209WA and MacBook Pro 13 do not get along?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ID008, Oct 28, 2009.

1. ID008 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro 13 for portability to my classes at the university and a Dell 2209WA as an external monitor. One of the few good IPS monitors I could find around for cheap.

The monitor works fine in mirror mode with the MacBook Pro, but as an external display only it does not work. It attempts to wake up and then you see power savings mode again and the screen goes black as if there was no connection. Not sure what exactly the problem here is. Drivers?

The monitor works great with a Mac Mini I have and it works great in mirror but not in external display mode(the lid of the MacBook Pro closed). Anybody know of this issue? The cable is good and the MacBook Pro is not that old(a few weeks).:(

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Did you change the settings off of mirror? Also, it usually takes a few seconds for the screen to come back on, usually i have to click the mouse a few times before it will turn back on.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If your drivers were an issue, you wouldn't be able to see anything in mirror.

What kind of ext. keyboard & mouse in clamshell? If bluetooth, make sure all is set, paired and working before closing the lid. After the lid is closed your monitor should go black for a while until you "wake up" the computer with your ext. keyboard/mouse.

4. samh macrumors 6502

I'm just about brand new to the mac world, but after a very long time in the PC industry it sounds like resolution for your external display may not be set properly (too high for the LCD panel). Since you said it happens when the machine is in 'clamshell' or open, right? That powersave mode typically happens when the monitor gets either (1) no signal or (2) a signal it can't handle.

5. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

Make sure your laptop is plugged into the charger. Mine does what you described when the charger is not attached.