Dell 23 inch - $169 - Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Epsilon88, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good budget monitor and I found this one on Dell that looks really good.

My question is:
    - Does this seem like a reasonable buy?
    - Would this work with my Macbook Pro? Does it come with the cable that I would need, or do I need to buy a separate cable (I lost all my original cables)? If so, what cable do I need to get?

Thanks for your help.

2. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Great deal, my best friend is getting the same display for his wife. I agree with frocco, if you can afford the higher pricetag, the UltraSharp u2311H is amazing.

Oh and to answer your other question, all you'd need is a mini-Display Port to HDMI cable.

3. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your responses. I think I'll get either of the two monitors mentioned in this thread. What are the main advantages of the UltraSharp (more expensive) model? I will just be using the monitor to surf, word process and watch YouTube/movies. Is it worth the extra $170?

Thanks!

4. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

By the way, would that mini display port to HDMI work with a Macbook Pro 15" purchased in September 2007? I'm not sure I have the ports?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

a 2007 mbp would have a dvi output

so if the monitor is hdmi, you would need a dvi-hdmi dongle. If it has dvi, you would not need anything assuming the monitor came with a dvi cable

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

or buy a dvi - hdmi cable from here.. $3.00 before shipping / tax on 3ft cable :eek:

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"What are the main advantages of the UltraSharp (more expensive) model? I will just be using the monitor to surf, word process and watch YouTube/movies. Is it worth the extra $170?"

Most (all?) of the UltraSharp series of monitors use IPS display screens, better viewing angle and are just better to look at for any length of time.

Yes, they ARE worth the extra money vis-a-vis the non-UltraSharp screens.

Your eyes will thank you....

8. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Returned the cheaper TN display and got the Ultrasharp. So happy I did! :D

9. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Good choice. The ultrasharp is a great deal.

10. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Absolutely. When I looked up reviews, some were complaining of tinting, but I noticed none at all.