Dell 2407 and SDHC cards

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jasonwang99, Oct 3, 2007.

1. jasonwang99 macrumors newbie

Anyone know if there's a way to get the Dell 2407 card reader to recognize SDHC flash cards? It recognizes my CF card and my smaller SD cards just fine but it won't register my 4GB SD card.

2. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

Have you gone to Dell's support to see if there is a firmware update by any chance to address this? Which revision do you have?

Have never used that high capacity of a card before in mine, so can't test it. I use a CF and 2 gig SD card in there sometimes a couple of times per day, and never any problems with those sizes. I tend to use multiple smaller sizes (don't like all my eggs in one basket).

3. jasonwang99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got it today so it's brand new. I looked for firmware updates but couldn't find anything. I have a feeling I'm screwed. Too bad... was hoping to get rid of the other card reader.

4. DellCA macrumors newbie

Checking the specs for hte card reader on the 2407, here is what I found:

Slot 1 supports: Compact Flash type I/II Card (CF I/II) / CF form factor ATA hard drives to USB 2.0 bus

Slot 2 supports: Smart Media Card (SMC), Memory Stick Card (MS) / High Speed Memory Stick (HSMS) / Memory Stick Pro Card (MS PRO) / Memory Stick Duo (with Adapter), Secure Digital Card (SD)/ Mini Secure Digital (with Adapter)/ TransFlash Card (with Adapter), MultiMedia Card (MMC) / Reduced Size MultiMedia Card (with Adapter)

The only other information I can find in the user guide (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2407WFP/en/index.htm) is troubleshooting for the card reader, but that does not list the sizes that are supported.

Some other information I have indicates that the reader only supports up to 2Gb of memory. Also, it is not compatible with the SDHC cards, as they are a brand new technology (compared to the card reader in the Dell monitor) that uses a different format for the data. So, there are two things working against you on this one, unfortunately: the card is to "big" and its in the wrong format to be read.

If you don't already have one, I would suggest looking for a USB SDHC card reader in order to use the card with your Dell. You then can connect it to the tower or one of the USB ports on the monitor (located just below the card reader ports).

If you have any other questions on this, I'll do my best to help.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate