Dell 2407 suddenly developed flicker?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by munckee, Jul 20, 2008.

1. munckee macrumors 65816

My 24" Dell LCD has been connected to my Mini for a month or so (and was connected frequently to my macbook before that) with no issue. Over the last couple of days however, I've started to notice a light flicker. It looks like a refresh rate issue, however I haven't changed any settings so I'm a little unsure of why it would have started all of a sudden, unless the monitor is getting ready to crap out on me.

The only available refresh rate in the display settings is 60hz. Does anyone know of a cure or a hack to try upping the refresh rate? I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle of sending this thing in (the box is huge).

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I understand that there's really a whole "myth" to the refresh rate on LCD's.

Those tiny little LCD's only refresh at 60 Hz. If a monitor has "other settings", it takes those settings and ultimately converts down to 60 Hz.

That's why all newer monitors (including my HP at work) only have one setting now - 60 Hz.

Try unplugging the monitor from the wall (turning it "off" is really just "standby) and see if it works after plugging it back in.

If that doesn't work, try another monitor or another computer.

Good luck...