Dell 2407WFP Is it too big to sit 36" away

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by newportmac, Aug 30, 2007.

1. newportmac macrumors member

I have been checking out monitors and from the research that I have done, many say to stay away from TN monitors like the samsung 245BW and spend a little more for non TN monitors because of the poor color on TN monitors. The reviews on the Dell 2407 FPW-HC are almost always positive. But I am wondering if a 24" monitor vesa mounted to my wall just above my desk isnt going to give me a sun burn... I can put my arm straight out and touch my 15" wall mounted lcd screen now so I would guess it will be about 36" away. On the other hand, Dell has it brand new for $608.46 after tax and free shipping....

2. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

I'd strongly discourage you from buying a Dell 2407, based on my experience with them. I have two of Dell's 2405 monitors that I bought last year, and absolutely love them. I picked up one of their 2407s this year, and regretted it a few months later:

1. In May, the monitor's power switch button broke. The spring behind the button snapped, and I could no longer push it to cycle the power on or off. Dell sent me a replacement out of their refurb center.

2. In July, the refurb showed a hot pixel (stuck on red) right in the center of the screen. Dell fought with me, but finally sent me another refurb unit.

3. The refurb they sent me was DOA. The screen would randomly go blank on me. Dell replaced it with a brand new monitor after I screamed at them.

4. The brand new monitor almost immediately started showing a hot pixel (stuck red) in the upper part of the screen. I convinced Dell to refund my purchase price.

I will never buy another Dell LCD again. I don't know what they changed between the 2405s and the 2407s, but the quality of their units has drastically decreased to the point of being junk. I've since replaced it with a Samsung 244T that has a nice, crisp picture, and no dead or hot pixels. It sits on my desk, less than a yard away, and is perfectly viewable from that distance.

jas

3. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I have the 2407 and its great. I have it at about arms length from me and its fine. Great monitor, just seems the poster above was very unlucky. I'm on my 6 dell lcd over the years and they are all still going strong.

4. taliz macrumors member

I've had a 2405 and a 2407(sold a week ago). I have nothing negative to say about any of them.
    They are both top-notch monitors, and you can't sit too close to them really.

5. jburrows500 macrumors regular

jburrows500

I am in a similar position. I have read great things about the 224T but from the prices I think you're looking at about $200 more. I have been checking the Dell Outlet for a refurbished one but havent had any luck in finding one.

6. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Again, just based on my own experience, I'd stay away from the 2407s. Specially the refurb'd ones. Their refurb department is the touch of death when it comes to monitors unless you're OK with dead/hot pixels, etc.

The 2405s are fantastic monitors and I can't say enough good things about them. But the 07's are just not up to the same standard.

Do some more digging. While the pro reviewers may like the 2407s, the end users (ie, the guys that have to live with them) haven't really been happy with them.

jas

7. jburrows500 macrumors regular

jburrows500

Unlike a hard drive or a video card where quantitative analysis can aid your decision, monitors in my opinion are some what subjective. Reviews tend to look down on TN monitors as the color is not true or the viewing angle is awful. However, until you walk into a best buy or compusa and take a look at a samsung 224T vs a Samsung 226BW you really can't make an informed decision. I went into Best Buy two nights ago and didnt look at brands, but just the quality of monitor. I thought they all looked awful because I suspect the feed to them was awful (so much for that exercise). There was a 24" Acer for 399 that didnt look too bad. I myself do not work for an ad agency and dont have to worry about a color being off a hair. Some people do have to worry about that and might be best served by a 224T or 2407, 2405. Point is- let your eyes decide and not so much what the reviewer said.