Dell 2408 Monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Wingnut330, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Hey folks,

I got my monitor today and let me say that I am impressed. I know there are those of you that say the ACD is better and I agree it's a great monitor. This thread isn't to discuss or compare the two, just to tell you about my thoughts on the 2408.

I opened the box and was very surprised with the contents. Based on some of the comments here, I was expecting a cheap plastic looking monitor. I was pleasantly surprised with how nice it looked. It was a breeze to assemble and I had it powered up and running in minutes.

One thing that surprised me most of all was the number of cables that were included. It came with power (obviously), a DVI cable, a HDMI cable and a USB cable. There were $100 in cables included - nice surprise!

I was also very surprised by the number of inputs. The bottom of the monitor looked like that back of my HDTV - tons of inputs.

I knew it had other ports on the side, but was just excited to see my options SD cards etc. Why iMacs don't have that option is beyond me. Maybe the next rev.

Anyway, the picture is great and I like the flexibility the monitor has. It can be raised up and down, swivels around and can be turned vertical. All very nice options.

Admittedly it's not as crisp as my MBP monitor, but it looks nice and will be great for editing video and pictures - I'm a home user, not a pro.

For the Mac fans here (as I am), the packaging isn't as sexy (plain brown box), the screen isn't as perfect BUT it's cheaper and more flexible than an ACD. I think even the biggest fanboy here would admit that the ACD needs an update.

Anyway, it seems to be a great monitor and I just wanted to pass my thoughts along.

2. fulz macrumors newbie

fulz

Dell Ultrasharp 24" 2408WFP monitors review but Sony Z7 issue

Wingnut, I agree with you the these Dell monitors are a great spec.
    I bought 2 to go with my new Mac Pro for FCP & Aperture work (can swivel to portrait mode).

They work great, look good and are were better value than the ACDs.

Two possible issues I have are:
    1. When looking at the monitor from a shallow angle the right and left edges (esp left) look pinkish when looking at a white background. I know people have mentioned this with many monitors incl the ACDs. Do you have this. I have set the colour to ADOBE RGB 1998 but this makes no difference.

2. My Sony Z7 HD camera outputs HD 1080i signal via HDMI but the Dell monitors only display this on the screen as a 576i picture. They can do 1080i/p as per their specs. - I have a technical call into Dell with this (surprising good tech support from them - they are getting a senior tech to test the problem and will get back to me tmrw). Have you tried connecting a HDMI device to the monitor and do you get full HD displayed. I do not have a HDMI DVD player to test with another device than my Z7.

3. My monitors are REV A00 (label on the back) - what REV are yours?

Thanks,

Zulf

3. FCDP macrumors regular

Question for both of you.

I'm looking into ordering a 2408, though I can't seem to find the warranty info on Dells site specifically for the 2408. I'm currently deciding between the Samsung 245T and Dell 2408, and the Samsung has a standard 3 year warranty.

If the Dell has a comparable warranty and service plan, I'll definitely be ordering it.

4. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gimme a couple of days and I'll get back to you on these questions...

5. Tattoo macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

6. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What's your point?

7. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. I don't notice it, but that doesn't mean it's not there. I find these types of things to be highly subjective.

2. I haven't tried - I only connect it to my MBP. I would be curious what you find out, so please post your results.

3. Mine is A00 as well.

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

"I have my Apple blinkers on"

BTW my 2407-HC / 2408WFPs do not exhibit pinkness at reasonable (and indeed, beyond reasonable) shifts in viewing angles.

The included third video cable with the 2408WFP is also actually a Displayport cable.

9. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What's a display port cable?

10. Falcon500 macrumors newbie

Zulf,

I have the same problem with a sony hc7 HDV camera. It only wants to output 576p via hdmi. Did Dell end up getting back to you on the issue and what a potential work around might be?

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I can only echo the compliments paid to Dell on their displays. A couple of years ago my mother bought a 26 inch HDTV from them for around about £300 (VERY cheap for the time). The TV is one of the best constructed that I have EVER seen - the base is actually made of stone (or some form of concrete) and the plastic is of high quality.

The pack ins were amazing for a TV of this price. There was both a VGA and DVI cable and a bunch of composite cables along with an S-Video and a SCART lead too. Truly amazing.

Why on earth would anyone pay more money for an Apple display which has just one input?

12. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Displayport is kinda like HDMI for monitors it's a new technology Read Here

13. Centris610 macrumors newbie

I was very impressed by it too. It comes with many great useful features at a good price. I really didn't want to return it, but the model that I received had saturated red color. If it wasn't for my work, I definitely would have kept it. Happy that you are happy with yours! :)

14. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just re-read that - it made me chuckle!

15. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I congratulate you on your good luck. But myself and my friends will
    NEVER buy anything from Dell. Horrible quality control and their stuff
    simply does not last.

Finally, theres the customer hassle dept....I pray you never need call them.

16. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Just because you had problems with dell does not mean they are bad, so don't go around saying they are.

17. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    I've had little trouble with Dell. I ordered a computer from them for my brother a few years ago. It would freeze randomly. Called, went through the motions, took about 15 minutes, they sent out a tech within 24 hours who replaced the motherboard. Easy as pie. Of course there are going to be bad batches of hardware now and then.

18. danny_w macrumors 601

I have bought several things (desktops, monitors, printers) from Dell over the years with little trouble and normally easy replacements if needed. They have always been fair with me.

19. mleibowi macrumors member

I agree. I never had a problem with dell. I have a dell that is 4 years old and it is still going strong. I did recently convert to MB, though. Look, I converted to apple, but there's no need to be an apple snob.

20. 11800506 macrumors 65816

However, I would like to point out that just because your experience with Dell may have been good, it doesn't mean that others' experiences have been good as well. People are allowed to share their experiences and sharing a negative one with Dell does not automatically make someone an Apple snob. I myself have had a plethora of problems with a Dell Inspiron 600m, but I know people who haven't had any trouble, so it can vary.

EDIT: And I just realized that this thread is almost a month old ... oh well.

21. sachin10dulkar macrumors newbie

How will this work with a Macbook?

Hi Guys

quick question

how will the Dell Monitor work out with the Mac book? i am thinking will the video card be able to power that kind of monitor??